Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass what to do???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bill h, Jul 7, 2004.

1. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Well I just got a Brand new up right bass.

The Bass I got is a "Hamburg" bass that is 3/4 size
    Here are some of the specs;
    Solid Spruce Top
    Fine Quality Ebony Wood Fingerboard, Tailpiece, and Tuning Pegs.
    Hand Inlaid Purfling
    Dark Brown Shaded Stain
    Brazilwood German Horsehair Bow
    Covering and Shoulder Rest Pockets
    Comes with Soft Bag Case

I ordered it off the net, to save on shipping the place has a retail store that is 2 1/2 hours from me. (the place I ordered it from is over 7 hours away) which they bring it to. So I go and pick it up, In a hurry and did not look it over at the store and the thing has been played before. A lot of ware on the neck from strings and the thing has lots of dings in it. I would say it is a 8.5 out of 10. How much of a stink should I raise about this? I don't care to much about the dings and such but the neck with it's marks is going to really get to up set me.

I have not contacted to store to see what they will do, I will do that tomorrow when they open up.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Well, to me, that's a used brand new bass. That's not a bad thing unless they sold it to you as a brand new bass. Then, I'd call it fraud. I'd make a very big stink if that were the case. It looks as if someone slid the tailpiece wire on from the side with tension on the strings, which did some pretty serious damage to the saddle. The fingerboard looks pretty played in as well.

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    The bass was to be new not used.

4. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I would bite a chunk out of someones a$$ right away. :spit: There is no way I would accept that bass in that condition if it were sold to me as new unless it were an exceptional bass at a even better deal. The fingerboard I may be able to live with but the saddle is not acceptable, period.

az

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I think the same rules that would apply to your electric basses would apply to this bass. You probably wouldn't have accepted this level of damage to a "new" bass guitar, or car, or whatever. It seems that someone may have tried to take advantage of you. It happens a lot in the DB world, apparently.

6. Are you sure it is a solid top? In the saddle picture the top looks more like a laminate. Notice how there appears to be layering rather than grain. I'm no expert but it looks sort of suspect.

7. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Clearly that is not BRAND NEW.

I would second what Steve says, that looks layered from the picture. If there are any chips around the edges you will see the layers if it is.

Damn..I would take that things back and demand your money.

:ninja: shaddy stuff

The real question is how does it play and sound?

8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Well I gave them a call as soon as they opened today, Told them of the issues with the bass and they wanted me to e-mail pics to them. I did that now I have to get a call from them. They did say they will make it right for me!!!

9. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    If you copy/pasted their description, then it sounds like they play their basses under their chins. ;)

Zoomed in at 600%, that image looks like a laminated top. A used, laminated top. With a "fine" ebony finderboard that's so fine that the strings dig a groove in no time.

<insert local shop rant> I'm sorry this didn't go the way a bass purchase should. After you return it, a visit to John Michael Smith in Minneapolis, Michelle Fiori at Classic Contrabass outside Chicago, or Henry Boehm at the Double Bass Workshop in Madison should get you on the way to owning something worth having. All good shops know the right way to deal with price constraints and such, without leaving you with this sort of hassle. Buy locally, live happily.;) <end rant>

And best of luck Bill, go get 'em! :mad:

10. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    This one of the Jim Laabs basses. I never could get them to email me back on several occasions and then when they did get back to me they jacked up the price. I never thought much of them after that. I have also heard several stories about service after the sale, witch amounted to nil. None for me thanks, get your money back. Buy from someone who is somewhat a luthier and not just a bass imported/seller.

az

11. To me guys, the 'layering' looks more like where the dark varnish of the top overhung the edge rather than laminate layers.

I guess this is one of those Jim Labs things that have been 'overstocked' for - oh let me see - the past five years?? That's a hell of a lot of overstock - or perhaps they don't sell many. They keep advertising though - I know about them and I'm in the UK.

12. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    I just ran that bass through the gyrations in Photoshop at 600x. The top looks layered with a straight grain laminate. And how can that be an ebony fingerboard? Either way - it's not a good deal. Does it sound good?

13. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I like the sound of it, but I am in now way experienced in the sound of a doghouse, The top is not a laminate as far as I can tell.
    They are still out on what to do with it, I have not heard back from them, sometime today I hope.

Just so you know the bass was in the $1000 to $1500 range, It is all I can afford, if you know of a better deal I'm all ears.

14. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    If it's actually a carved top - and you say it is - and the rest of it isn't too bad, but not what you bargained for - it's hard to say... Having been through the shipping problems (in which I was very well and fairly treated, I add) with one broken bass, and since it's in that price range - unless they treat you very well also, the experience might just deteriorate. Without handling a new bass before putting downthe cash, it's buyer beware.

If the damage is mainly cosmetic, what the hey - cut yer losses and enjoy the bass? A carved bass for that price you may not run up against everyday, either, without some dissatisfaction. (Spoken from an older guy's viewpoint). Or - enjoy a good rant! That can be fun, too.

15. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    There's another way to look at it too. If you've been following this general thread, you may safely conclude that several folks wouldn't even thnk of buying a bass unless it was used, cracked and patched up numerous times, parts replaced, and all such...and some of 'em seem to pay all outdoors for 'em, too. Shoot - maybe in 50 years the value of yours will be tenfold -

16. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Bill,

Here's a tip on determining the top construction, in case you didn't know it already. If you look at the edges up close, the grain of the top, if carved, will be very clearly wrapped around/across the edge. If laminated, you will be able to see the layers of lamination following the edge. Your photo looks laminated all the way, I didn't see any hint of grain, but I'm not very close to the bass either. ;)

And yes, you can buy a good plywood for $1500. You just have to make some calls and see what pricing reputable dealers will cut one loose for. Bass shops or violin-thru-bass shops recommended over music stores.

Good luck man.

17. pathdoc2

pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I've got the identical bass and mine has a solid top. Bass actually sounds and plays very nicely after a pro setup. I hope you get this resolved.

18. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Jim Laabs music will not stand up and help me out!!! I hate to slam them in a public forum, but they SUCK. If you want to know more let me know PM style

19. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Well, demand your money back. If you bought it on a charge card call the company (Visa, Discover, et al) and reverse the charges. Do what you have to. Take them to small claims court and get what the estimated costs of repair will be to resurface the fretboard and refinish the saddle. Either they would help me or I would make the bastards pay!

az

20. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    To make a long story shrot....Jim Laabs music took the bass back and gave me my money back!!! Lots of hassels and much time on the phone, but they did do me right in the end.