1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New bass with a twist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by syciprider, Dec 22, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I went to GC to pick out a Christmas/40th B Day present. I knew I was going to get either a 2pup Ray or a Ric 4001 (they have several used ones for like $1K plus).

Decided that I want a 2pup Ray w/ maple board and possibly a 5er (needs to be ordered). However, I was concerned about the weight of 25% more bass. The clerk reminded me that I can pay for a 5er 1pup SR and take it home for some real hands on time while he orders my 2 pup model. For good measure he will find both a 4 and a 5 HH Ray so I can have a choice. Then I just go back to the store to switch out and pay the difference (if any).

So now I have this sweet 5 string version of my blk/blk/maple Stingray sitting in my music room. I'm still stumbling through the learning curve (mistaking the B string for E, teaching the right hand to reach further down to hit the G and getting the left used to the bigger spread). It's a pain to "un four string" my mind but I like being able to spend more time above the 5th fret where the frets are smaller.

No pics. It's not my bass anyway.