Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass with a twist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by syciprider, Dec 22, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I went to GC to pick out a Christmas/40th B Day present. I knew I was going to get either a 2pup Ray or a Ric 4001 (they have several used ones for like $1K plus).

Decided that I want a 2pup Ray w/ maple board and possibly a 5er (needs to be ordered). However, I was concerned about the weight of 25% more bass. The clerk reminded me that I can pay for a 5er 1pup SR and take it home for some real hands on time while he orders my 2 pup model. For good measure he will find both a 4 and a 5 HH Ray so I can have a choice. Then I just go back to the store to switch out and pay the difference (if any).

So now I have this sweet 5 string version of my blk/blk/maple Stingray sitting in my music room. I'm still stumbling through the learning curve (mistaking the B string for E, teaching the right hand to reach further down to hit the G and getting the left used to the bigger spread). It's a pain to "un four string" my mind but I like being able to spend more time above the 5th fret where the frets are smaller.

No pics. It's not my bass anyway.