new bass woes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fadlan bassman, Aug 12, 2002.

1. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    I introduced my new bass to the rest of the band tonight, but i had some trouble with the sound. I plugged into my normal chain (big chain: zoom 506II) and did not change my settings on the head. I started to play and it was so loud and distorted and muddy, I started turning down my bass trying to figure out why it sounded like crap. I wound up unplugging the zoombass pedal and just straight into the head and of course it sounded much better. My old main bass is a btb 5 string with the passive pups and 18v preamp, my new axe is a spector CRFM 5 string with active emg dc40s with aguilar 18v preamap. The btb sounded just fine with the zoom pedal but it seems to increase the gain for the emgs (which are allready pretty damm hot). Has any one switched from a midrange bass to a higher end bass and had similar situation/frustration? I play with an Ampeg b2.
  2. The 18 volt preamp might be overdriving the zoom and/or the amp. Adjust the zoom for either bass, you should be fine, scratch that, forget the zoom, you won't need it, you have professional equipment.
  3. When I got my Spector NS5CR about 2 1/2 years ago I found that the output was a lot higher than any other active bass I had - also mine was just the 9v EMG pre-amp. So I can imagine the problems your having with the 18v Aguilar pre-amp.

Depending on what effects you use, I'd maybe just plug into the amp direct ,and adjust!!! IF you are using some of the effects from the Zoom - you're gonna have to adjust the effect level or master volume on the effects box to suit!
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I have a Zoom 506, and while it makes my crappy basses sound better, it sucks the life out of my Warwick and my Conklin. I don't even use it as anything but a tuner anymore.
  5. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My sentiments exactly. As much as I want to use some effects, I've tried a Zoom and a Pandora's Box and end up plugging in directly. Trying to get comfortable with the gains is the problem, and then they seem to keep you from getting the rich pure tone when you want it. I use an ancient Boss Chorus Ensemble with no ill effects, no pun intended. It's a tank of a stomp box, but all you have to do is get the gain balanced, which is quickly done.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yep, same here. My 506 is nothing but a tuner for me.
  7. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Oddly enough, my 506 is like training wheels. I use it with my Crate practice amp. If I find something I "like" I try to recreate similar degrees of reverb or chorus or whatever with the Quadraverb that's in my rack.

That said, the 506 NEVER leaves the house.

My Pandora is my go anywhere practice anywhere unit. Front porch, rear deck, vacation, lunchtime in the parking lot at my office....

8. I have a Zoom 506II too, and it kind of freaks me out. No matter how hard I try to get something useful out of it, it just sounds plain awful. Plastic, hollow and VERY strange. Can't say I use it very much.
  9. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Thanks for all the response/feedback. As soon as I plugged straight in to the head the sound was much smoother. i guess i need higher end effects for my higher end bass. I do feel like the spector is a loud sob(nice. :p )