Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass yesterday!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sshorepunk, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Hi
    Picked this up yesterday from Bernie Goodfellow of GB guitars here in the UK, nice piece of wood, no?

Tony

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Very pretty...I'm surprised that they can get away with shaping the headstock like that...

3. ..sounds good too, custom made pick ups and electronics, all designed and built by GB!

T.

4. Wow! That's sharp, man. What kind of wood is that on the fingerboard?

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Looks like bird's-eye maple..

6. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    [worldwar2mode] Warnung,Warnung! Eine Spitfire! [/worldwar2mode]
    :D

that's a nice bass!

7. Yep, birds eye maple it is!
    Spent a few days tweeking the set up to my own preference and this bass is sweeet, neck like butter, I had been used to 38mm necks having had a MM sterling and Fender jazz before this, this bass is 41mm, noticable difference but OK for me, would have been better at 38mm as this is what I'm used to, may get a new neck made at some point!

The electronics are superb, massive amount of cut and boost, soloing the bridge pick up gives a super funky finger funk tone, on both it's allround finger style and glassy slap tones.

Tony

8. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    Lovely looking basses. Can I ask the people here with GB Guitars a couple of things? First, I was wondering if the circuitry has that sort of "attack" setting to get something of a pick sound when playing fingerstyle... that's one of the things I'm getting quite interested about these days; I understand that's a bit of a Wal thing but the Wal waiting list could leave me a geriatric before I took delivery and I'm a bit worried about the weight, so I thought GB could potentially be a better alternative.

Second, does anyone contact the chaps there using email? I've fired off a couple of requests for brochures over email in the last few weeks but haven't heard anything back, so I guess they're either snowed under with other stuff or email isn't quite their thing yet!

Chris.

9. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I've had the exact same experience. Gave up on them and got ordered myself a nordie instead ;)

10. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    Oh well, at least it's nothing personal against me then! Shame, though, I love the look of their basses and if the electronics can be made to do what I want it's too good an opportunity to pass up... but the difficulty getting hold of them is a bit off-putting.

Chris.

11. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    My last Trace Elliot 1210H had a "Harmonic Emphasis" circuit which did much the same thing with the attack, but obviously from the amp.
    It worked a treat, I'm just sorry I had to sell the amp :bawl:

Ashdown are now using it in their Ashdown Research amps

Peter

12. first of all..

I HATE U I HATE U I HATE U :p:p...

Lovely Bass.. I spoke to Bernie about a month ago and he told me about it..uve got a killer..there...I will be ordering a second GB..!!!.....

Right lets get down to some questions and answers.!!!..(I am mr GB nut around this place apparently...)...

The Wals have a Parametric EQ that is a bugger to play with but it great onces uve mastered it..but the GB outshines the Wals in the sound departments

With dual Coil..Custom Wound Humbuckers and the GB Electronics...u can get any sound u want out of it...it has 21db cut and boost on the Bass and Treb and a huge 25db cut and boost onthe mid...:).... The switch changed the pups from serial to parrelle....

If u want a crips pick type sound with ur fingers.. i recommend...boosting the bass to full...boosting the treb ti around 1/2
    adding just a touch of mid..flick the switch towards to the birdge (paralle)....panning the pups to center and playing between them...u shall get ...so0o much tone out of it...its' untrue....then u can just attentuate just slightly.....to ur prefernce....The bass will growl as well.. and its super nice....

Boosting the mids will give u a MM sound like no other....but be careful it will overload the amp if everything is set to max.!!!.....lol....sound powerful....

I have given up usin my EQ on my EBS Fafner...everythign set to 12 o'clock (Flat) Eq of the bass....!!!

To the email situ.....Bernie hardly ever replys to emails and he knows this to be a problem....he has just moved from Surry to Birghton and still getting things up and running again....

Best way to contact him is to fone him :) u will get his absolute attention... He has a special contract with the fone...so0o he is quite happy to call u bk and discuss things...!!!

Email is not one of his strong points I am affraid but its on his hit list and I am sure will be addressed sooon....I am sure he will be upset to find out this has lost him custom.....!!! he always sends me lovely letters and gives me fone calls with new stuff and info....!!!

A pleasure to work with.!!!!

If in doubt.. fone..!!!....

I'll prolly speak to him....this week ill mention these points to him..!!!

The deal with the Spitfire name is this....

Use to be called Spitfire....but when he wanted to branch out of england he had to change the name to GB IV and V when he had a stand at Frankfert...

This name stuck for around 2 years My GB is a GB IV..!!!...

THen Bernie updated his basses and now has the standard High-end Rumour Electronics in every bass.. he beleive that his electronics supply everything u ever wanted.. vintage, modern, Dub, Jazz, and they doo.... Customers alter the sounds by using the wood combinations...and he is very knowledegable when it comes to woods....

But he changed it bk to Spitfire..cause he a British company and wants a good British name and he is like...well in a modern sociaty we shudnt have these prejudices....new Gernations with new view points....The WW's are a big part of history yes ...but times move on..forgive and forget.... :)....(this is why i reckon the shortened version of Japan, J** i tihnk is okay)....some ppl think it is offensive still but this is relating to events that happened decades ago and i wish cud have been left in the last mellenium .. but there we are..!!!

GB's frigggiiiiiiiiiiiin awesome ......

13. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    Peter: interesting one, that. Funnily enough I was originally looking for a Trace but ended up buying an Ashdown. Mine doesn't have the harmonic doobry but I love it anyway, so it looks like the bass will have to do all that malarkey instead!

ZenBass: thanks for all the info! I now feel a bit more confident about going down the GB route from what you've said, so I think I'll probably give him a ring this week (I hate using the phone, but very occasionally I can make an exception if it's really worth it!)

Chris.

14. Hey... thats coool

If u want anymore infor just ask ..:)

Tell him Ben Howard sent u.....:)...he knows who i am...!!!

here is my GB

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Famous one amoung the GB crowd....!!!

My Second GB will be ordered before the Year is up...!!!...Poor student u see :p..!!!

Yeah as i said give him a call... :) tell him i sent u....and that I send my regards

If u want any info..just give us a PM...

Chheeerss

Ben

15. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland

16. Chronosx65x

Chronosx65x

May 27, 2004
    Milwaukee,Wi.
    that bass looks real nice. i really like the multicolored sparkly one too. im from the usa and this is the first time iv'e seen or heard of GB basses. they seem pretty hot up there in the U.K. are they a small company? :bassist: :spit: :bassist:

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's a pretty nice quilt you have on that bass. very cool

18. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    They do look quite nice, and it comes as no surprised that JJ Burnel now uses one! I'll still be hanging on to my ABM500 though; apart from anything else, I've only had it six months and it cost a small fortune!

Ben, thanks again for the info. I'll try to get hold of him tomorrow morning and will mention that you sent me his way!

And Tony, sorry for trying to hijack your thread. Did I mention that's a damn fine looking bass you've got yourself there? :D

Chris.

19. No Probbies...glad to help :)...

GB...yes they are relativly small company...they probably have the capacity to produce around 100-150 a year but I know Bernie is very Streched atm ....!!!..... His Rumor Series take around 6months to complete...but after a stonkin last year who knows..!!!

Any foget Ashdowns and Trace's...if you really want to here your GB basses as thet meant to be heard...Buy EBS...!!!...GB are UK distibutors for them... I have a Very nice EBS Fafner and 4x10 cab from Bernie and it killed everything else I tried..even Eden, Agulia and other top names...The TONE is emense...!!!...

Take ur bass down to ur local amp shops..try them different amps and then plug it into a EBS and u'll see its a match made in heaven..!! i know at the Music Live 2003 show Bernie was giving a bass to people and saying..go away for an hour and try everything else. u can....then come bk...nearly everyone agreed..a perfect match...

20. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    Well I phoned Bernie today and had a quick chat: really nice guy, but since I hate using the phone I forgot half the stuff I wanted to talk about and somehow left him with the impression that I would pop into the shop, since one of the minor points I forgot is that I can't drive at the moment :rolleyes: (sleep problems, not drink, I hasten to add!)

Oh well, I'm still pretty sure about what I'm after so I think I may write to him and discuss what I'm after that way.

Damn the lot of you for giving me a severe dose of GAS that I just can't ignore; I've already spent quite enough on basses lately! :p

Chris.