Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass : Zon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PsionAxis, Jan 19, 2006.

1. PsionAxis

PsionAxis

Dec 22, 2005
    Atlanta
    I have saved up enough money and have decided I am going to buy a Zon bass, Does anyone know how much a Legacy Elite 6 would run for? Or how it differs, from the Sonus 6? Thanks

2. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    I don't know how much a Legacy Elite 6 would cost... someone else here could probably be more helpful there. As for the difference between a Legacy Elite 6 and a Sonus 6, there are quite a few, as the Sonus line consists of 10 different models. The biggest difference between the Legacy and Sonus basses is that the Legacy has a set-in neck design whilst the Sonus has a bolt on neck. I think the neck on a Legacy is slighter thicker than on a Sonus as well (not counting the Sonus 519). The electronics in the Legacy differ from the electonics in the Sonus basses too. If you need more specific information, I recommend you check out theZon website. Hope this helps.

note: edited a couple of times cos i just woke up after sleeping for only an hour and my brain is still dead.

3. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Was just checking out Zon's website myself. If you click on the model you want, then click the 'build your sonus special 6' and the price initially shows a 4 string. A 6 string starts at $4295

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    The Sonus' neck is thicker & has a Warwick type profile, though not as round. The Legacy is a bit thinner. I prefer the Sonus & in a satin finish on the back. My favorite neck of all...

Also, have you ever played a Zon? You might not like it or perhaps you may love it, as many do. Try before you buy...

~S~

PS: Do yourself a favor, after NAMM is over & IF you're serious, call Joe. He is a gentleman & very accomodating to what you may have in mind...

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    +1 - Spacing on Zon 6ers is usually 16~17mm... a little too narrow for medium to large hands. Good advice on trying one first and/or talking to Joe.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Everybody else has pretty much answered your questions, but I have a couple of things to add.

If you like the electronics that are in the Legacy, but prefer a bolt on, the Sonus Custom has the same electronics package.

The neck on the Sonus is thicker than the Legacy neck, but it is nowhere near as thick as a Warwick.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...ummm, as I said earlier, same "style/profile" as a Warwick, "not" as round, meaning big...

On another note, here's a pic of my Legacy 6 Standard(bolt on) with a Sonus neck & Sonus Studio electronics, 1 piece quilted Maple body. It absolutely KILLS...

~S~

PS: I'm not sure of the fretboard radius or neck radius off hand, but the board is pretty flat...

8. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I own a Zon Sonus 6. I bought mine in the late 1990's, a year or two after the model was introduced. My Sonus is probably considerably different from what's on the market now. But the things that haven't really changed include the fact that the string spacing is very similar to a Jazz bass, so if you like your spacing like that a Sonus might be want you want. As for electronics, mine has the Bartolini single coils and preamp. Zon was setting out to make the Sonus a modern version of a Jazz bass, hence the single coils. But the active bass/treble cut & boost controls are quite powerful.

IIRC, the Legacy basses have considerably different electronics. I believe they're also setnecks, while the Sonus is a bolt-on. However there are also a number of different Sonus models out now that have a variety of electronics packages. I think the trouble for you might be attempting to A/B the Sonus and the Legacy. There aren't a ton of Zon dealers, and probably fewer still who will have a Legacy 6 and a Sonus 6 in stock.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:cool:

I thought that was what you meant, but wasn't 100%.

10. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Devilman, Embellisher

That's strange... Does this apply to 6 string Zons only? I've played both a Legacy Elite and a Sonus (both 4 stringers) and I could have sworn the back profile on the Sonus was thinner. In fact I ordered a Sonus Custom 4 last December because IMO the Sonus' neck felt a lot like a Fender Jazz neck, which I like a lot, and the Legacy's neck felt close to a Fender Precision neck.

Thats just the impression I've always had but anyway even if it is thicker, I still prefer the Sonus' neck over the one on the Legacy Elite. Anyway, I apologise for giving out the wrong information.

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    They are both GREAT basses. I prefer the look of the Sonus by a wide margain.

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Man, IMHO, I definitely would NOT use Warwick's neck profile as a comparison. At least on my Sonus', the neck is super slim and comfy, and the spacing is a standard old-school 17mm all day long.

Warwicks, on the other hand are an extra-tight 16.5mm, which at least to me, makes a bigger diff than you'd think, and feel like baseball bats. Love the tone, hate the necks. I absolutely LOVE Sonus necks. Super fast.

13. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Same here. I had a Warwick Corvette Proline 5 string not too long ago. Hated the neck, not to mention the neck dive, but it recorded very well. Sonus necks are the best I've played so far. They just feel very natural to me. Which Sonus do you have?

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    +1!

I have a Sonus 5 fretted and a Sonus Special 5 fretless (pics on my gear page below).

15. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Just checked it out. You have some awesome stuff! How is that Mesa Walkabout? I'm seriously considering getting either a Mesa M-Pulse or a Walkabout. Tried the M-Pulse and I love it but I've not had the chance to check out the Walkabout yet (no Mesa dealers where I live actually, the M-Pulse belongs to a friend of mine who got it overseas).

16. PsionAxis

PsionAxis

Dec 22, 2005
    Atlanta
    Well thanks for all the input, I was just wondering for info on the Legacy Elite, because I did play a Sonus Six and was wondering just how different the two really are, if a legacy runs for $4250 on the site, that is about what Expected, although I will be getting it for alot less. When I played the Sonus, I thought the string spacing was fine, but I thought it was very strong in the mid range but lacked in high end and low end for that matter. I wonder if any of you have had similar or different experiences? Share please. Im going on saturday to look into the Zon's more at this dealer, If I bring one back I will post pictures.

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Thanks! I have to update it as well... new MTD I just got. TB thread here.

Well, I haven't been able to check out the Mpulse, but the Walkabout is awesome. I've been playing with some tubes and really enjoying the head. I started a megathread on the walkabout and also did a "quiet fan" post (the fan runs full blast all the time, which is not a problem live, but annoying in the studio if you're doing any live mic'ing.

I don't wanna' derail the thread, however, so lemme say the Zon sounds great thru it, and PM me if you want thread links. :)

18. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...0.5mm, noticeable? C'mon...

I still feel that MY Zons neck has more of a Warwick feel, though not as cumbersome or bulky. It definetly doesn't have any kind of Fender vibe. Than again, my neck is a 6 compared to the 5's people are talking about here & it's a 35". Maybe my comparison to other Zons is invalid due to this?
    I had a Legacy 5 w/set-neck that had a much thinner neck. Didn't like the gloss finish on the back at all compared to the satin now offered.

YMMV,
    ~S~

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Believe it! I totally hear you on this, as it's really hard to believe, but I can really tell!

I mean, it's not like the Zon is perfect and I can't play the Warwick at all, but it is a noticeable discomfort... to me at least. It may also help to say I don't notice it much walkin', but when doing stuff which skips strings, like octaves and wide intervals, I really notice it... it adds up...

I have to claim ignorance on anything but the Sonus, and I've never played a Zon 6, so if they're different, herein may lie the rub, and I definitely wouldn't like it nearly as much if it were more like a Warwick neck.

+1 on the satin finish. I'm really not much into the gloss finished necks. If I ever ordered a Ritter, he'd have to do an oil finished back of the neck.

20. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Here's a few shots of my old Legacy 5...

~S~