1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cliffemall93, Jun 9, 2014.

1. cliffemall93

cliffemall93

Jun 9, 2014
    So my first bass was a Dean Zone Xm, and I'm currently looking to get something different. There are a few things I have in mind. Stiletto extreme 4, Sterling SUB ray 4. I was wondering how much of an improvement these would be?

2. Hi Cliff

I take it you're moving up and feel a better model of bass is needed.
    Now I can't tell you much but you could try and PM Crystalman85, he got the Stiletto a few years back and was
    very happy with it and could answer some questions for you.

The Sterling SUBs get a good write up and seem to cater for most styles of music.

Both will be an improvement,nothing wrong with the Dean I've an Evo XM myself but the active
    electrics will give you more control over your sound.My gut feeling is go for the SUB it comes
    from a good stable and has some nice features. Here's a link to GAK in the UK where they do
    an A/B test with the Sterling Vs the Stingray.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/sub-by-ster...Zb5LZtLcuVzRKcbO7t6KEAVhVJAKaWoL0GR99Usrw_wcB

Hope Crystalman can help with the Stiletto.

Maxdusty likes this.
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I had a Dean Zone and I don't want to offend you or anyone, but that was the one bass I've owned I did not like at all (just my opinion of course - it did not suit my playing style perhaps, the bass was part of a trade along with the one I wanted). You will notice a huge difference compared to the models you have selected. I would go to a music store and try some other basses out. Things to consider, what kind of music do you play. Whether you want an active or passive bass etc. Also, how much you want to spend.
    You can buy used basses and get more bang for your buck, most of my basses are used and were bought as inexpensively as possible. For example, a new Sterling Sub Ray 4 bass (excellent bass btw) goes for $299, a used one goes from $150-200. The Subs are very popular basses these days and for good reason as they're a lot of bass for the price. There's a five stringer in my local area that's selling for $125. Very crisp powerful sound, Excellent bass for funk as you can get the action pretty low on these and slap away like Flea. It's a bass that has little subtlety I'd say, it's powerful. If I had anything ill to say about the bass, is perhaps it's far too aggressive at times and it's hard to get a more mellow sound out if it. The bass has Tourette's! For a bass that offers a great range of tones, there's always the Fender style passive basses (Squier, Fender MIM, MIA - depends on your budget). There are also Ibanez basses that are reliable solid basses (most are active- as in with EQ), they usually have slimmer necks than most. I've had a Schecter bass previously, just not the Stiletto, someone with more experience with this bass can probably give you a better review of it. I do think highly of their basses though.

Pic is of the 3 4-string Subs I had, I also had a five string one. Did I mention, I like these basses? I don't need all of them though, so I just kept the mint green one. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  4. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    The Stilettos are awesome. I was going to pick up the Studio 6 until I found that I really like Conklins and decided to go for the GT7 instead, since a high F would be beneficial to me. I'm still going to get the Stiletto, but I'm going to get the fretless version instead. All in all, just an opinion here, the only thing wrong with them are the stock strings. I've never liked Slinkys.

5. Max good choice keeping the Green one and you're bang on the money with how aggressive they can be.
    I've one of these Retrovibe EVOs designed in the UK by ProBass
    [​IMG]

Though in white. Day it arrived I'd been playing my Curbow, plugged the Retro in same settings, Man nearly blew the cans.

Maxdusty likes this.
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    lol!!! That truly looks like it can do some serious sonic damage to plates and household china, however, really a beautiful bass you have there. I've never seen one of these before, love the fret markers and headstock !
    Ever since I bought the first Sub Ray, I have to admit that when I'm at a music store these days and see someone about to play one, I find myself wincing in anticipation of the blast from the amplifier and an apology from the player for having the amp volume set too high for the bass .

kodiakblair likes this.
  7. There's sadly no distributor in the States for the Retros yet. I was kinda lucky and got mines in a promotional sale,
    think it's 1 of 8 made.Actually bought another model too the Zygote 1 of 12.

http://www.probass.co.uk/Home.html

Dave that owns the company is a good guy, he emailed me yesterday about a bass on Ebay he knew I was looking
    for.

I'd never really thought about just how loud the Subs were but after a wee bit tinkering with volume you get great
    sounds from them.They should put a warning sign on them.
    Big plus in their favour for me was Sterling Ball introducing the living wage in 2001, it was a good
    thing to do,same as producing the Subs in the USA.