Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmans_mom, Dec 29, 2003.

1. bassmans_mom

bassmans_mom

Dec 19, 2003
    hey this is bassmans mom's son, i got the bass she ordered me and it plays and sounds great!
    but, unfortunately it has a high spot in the neck on the 22nd fret on the a string. the bass is a brice v2 5string fretless, i raised the action , but i dont want to create too extreme of an angle at the bridge on the string, because i break string too frequently as it is, and i don't think adding or subtracting relief will fix this problem. i have some knowledge of setting up my instruments, but fretless is foreign to me and i was wondering if the problem could possibly be remedied with a neck adjustment . any input would be greatly appreciated. thanx

2. Does it happen to look like this:

[​IMG]

??

The neck on my Essex (sold by Rondo Music, same dealer as Brice). I have been talking to the owner of Rondo Music (Kurt) and he said it looks like it can't really be fixed, so if that is the case with yours, I'd E-mail Kurt and see what he thinks about it. If the need arises, you always have 30 days to send it back for a new one (I'm going to have to send mine in for repair). www.rondomusic.bigstep.com is the website.

Best Regards,
    The One And Only THole

3. bassmans_mom

bassmans_mom

Dec 19, 2003
    yes similar ski jump profile, but minus the frets, but i figured the angle of the neck in the pocket was to aid a lower action setup.
    thanx .

4. I would recommend tightening the trus rod, see if that straightens it out. I tightened mine and it fixed 50% of the problem, but then again it is fretted making it more of a problem. So see if you can fix it by tightening the trus rod a lil.

5. bassmans_mom

bassmans_mom

Dec 19, 2003
    i'll try that, thankyou alot for your help !

6. bassmans_mom

bassmans_mom

Dec 19, 2003
    Thx for your help Tyler Hole - the bass has to go back unfortunately. Sent an email to Kurt to confirm.

Found a blem on the neck where a sliver of maple is missing (gnawed looking hole) under the fretboard and a good sized scratch on the horn. Combined with the dead fret, it's just not worth messing with.

I do want a replacement sent though, because the bass itself is great. Neck is a perfect fit for me, and the sound is pretty good.

thanks again.

7. I imagine if a sliver of the neck is missing he will send you a new one, sounds a bit too tough to fix. Your welcome for the help, just let me know if there is anything else I can be assistance to you with.

Best Regards,
    The One And Only THole

8. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Looks like you have more problems than a "rising fretboard" there. That wood in the neck looks like it expanded after the frets where put in to me. You can see how some of the frets have sunk into the fret board from the sides, others look like they are comming unglued and are sticking up to high. I think the only cost efective way you'll ever get that fixed is with a replacement neck.

GS

9. Actually I'm sending it hopefully tomorrow back to Rondo Music for the warranty repair. If they can't fix it then they give me a new bass, if they don't have any of the same bass in stock, then they refund my money. If they refund my money then I save up another $50 ($30 to the bass, $20 to shipping) and get the Essex Jazz 5

10. bassmans_mom

bassmans_mom

Dec 19, 2003
    Hey Tyler hole - this is bassman's mom again. real mom that bought the guitar ;-) we're too lazy to get diff user names although I told my son that this is the best bass forum I've seen online. Very active and lots of good nfo.

I noticed those frets looked pretty sunken on your bass too. They actually look nasty.

How long have you had the bass? BTW what kind of warranty do these guitars have? I've never gotten a straight answer from Rondo on that, other than their 30 return policy. I could be wrong but I haven't seen anything at their site either.

not that it matters much. for that price, it's a throw away anyway. trouble is they are so damn playable ;-) I can't pry the thing from my son's hands to send it back!! He's going to the recording studio this week and he took the fretless with him. I had it all boxed up ready to send back, but he decided he wants to give it the 10 days to decide what to do.

He's afraid he'll get one in worse shape and 2 returns to the mid-west would be too big a hassle at any price. Tried to get Rondo to inspect a replacement before resending to alleviate the problem, but understandably (totally at that price) they don't have the manpower to guarantee they can do that.

The dead fret thankfully isn't on the 7th fret, which is common from what I've researched on fretless's. at the 22nd he can live with it, or so he says right now. Will see after he plays it a few days.

If he keeps it he's going to put some sawdust and superglue in the hole on the neck to protect it from moisture causing further damage. Rondo thought it was shipping damage, but from the looks of it, it looks like the splinter was reglued at the factory and fell out along the way, or they just missed it totally. The glue is too uniform in the hole.

what do you think? sawdust and glue fix it up? (hopefully the pic will upload)

like I said I can't pry it from his hands!!!

11. I've had mine for about 6 months. I only noticed the problem around a week ago. On that neck (the fretless) it looks like it was chipped before the fingerboard was put on and I'm hoping(because it would be lame if they noticed and didn't care) that they just missed it.

As for the return policy. There is the 30 day return policy for the first 30 days. As for the rest, I believe (from reading and talking with Kurt) that there is a 1 year warranty on it with which you can get a repair done if needed. I say E-mail Kurt and ask him all about it, I'm not dead sure about it. I'm not sure if it would void the warranty or not to use sawdust and glue to fill it for now. I'd contact Kurt(once again) and ask him.

Also I'm probably not the super best person to answer some of these questions (I've only been playing a year) so I'll send the URL to some other TBers (more knowledgeble ones) and have them post their opinions/comments/suggestions in here.

Best Regards,
    Tyler Hole

12. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    They are great basses for the money, but I do think the quality control at the factory is a little lax. I had the fingerboard off of mine and found the truss rod rout was very rough (see pic). Also the fake skunk stripe on the back of the neck had been clamped too hard when it was glued in, producing a long internal crack down the length of the truss rod slot. But for all that, it plays great and like I said, for the money they are unbeatable IMO.

As far as your specific problem, if it's a fretless it may be fixable just by re-dressing the fingerboard, combined with truss rod adjustment if necessary.

If you need to go back to the dealer, Kurt at Rondo is a good guy and very helpful; he is also a TB member but he is easiest to reach by email.

[​IMG]

13. bassmans_mom

bassmans_mom

Dec 19, 2003
    thx guys - I did email Kurt several times. He just said to send it back that it sounded like a lemon, between the scuff on the horn, dead fret and defect on the maple neck. That's a reasonable option, but I'll have to see if my son will part with it. I don't think a cosmetic fix on the neck would void a warranty because there wouldn't be any structural changes or mods, but unless a warranty is in writing, I take it with a grain of salt anyway.

From what my son tells me, you can play 2 exact guitars in a store and you may like one and not the other. Guess it's the uniqueness of the woods and drying time at the factory? I figured they'd be exact. Because he likes this one, I think he's afraid he won't like a replacement one as well, or it will be just as blem'd. If they would inspect a replacement before shipping, I'd be happier. Oh well. No biggie for the $.

He plays weekly in shows so blems aren't really a problem as long as they aren't structural. He's adjusted the bridge and truss rod and that dead fret is there to stay unfortunately. I'll double check with him and make sure the truss rod turning actually did something, because you never know, that could be broken too and the rod freewheeling when he thinks it's turning. I'd send it back for that for sure.

I think he's afraid to redress the neck himself and take it too low. He really likes roundwounds and has heavy hands, so he might opt for this when he gets some $ :)

[​IMG]

http://www.woodwiz.com/guitarlab/epoxy.html

looks like this guy does great work! Price is little steep for his finances right now, but he tried defretting and epoxying his old cort neck in the past and I never did see the result because it went in the trash. lol He got too frustrated with the epoxy and rushed it I think.

thx again for your help. I agree for the $ they are great guitars. My son couldn't believe the quality of materials for the $.