New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Punk4Christ, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Punk4Christ

Dec 22, 2000
    Hey everyone. Im thinking about getting a new bass for my birthday or atleast try to. The kind im thinking about getting is a Dan Electro bass. But im not sure if they are that good or what. So can you guys let me know what you think of that brand. Thanks
  2. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a played one or 2 Dan Electros. Felt fine, but I couldn't get much low end out of them. Even playing thru good amps.

I do know a guy in a 50's-60's rock and R&B band using one and it sounds killer.

The price is good.

As you will hear on this site many times over, play what feels right to you. If'n you like the Dan Electro and it will suit your needs, go for it!
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played a couple of Long Horns when the were first reissued & the sounded good & looked real cool. They are short scale fo it is a little weird to get used to. Now thay make a couple of long scale basses & some w/effects built in. Play 'em, If you like it, buy it. :)
  4. I've tried a DC, it had a pretty nice growl. The controls were hard to figure out and the short scale took some getting used to, I didn't like the little tuners (That's sounds like a Freudian mental problem "Tuner Envy Complex") but in a weird way it looked pretty damn cool. I didn't try the range out too much, so I wouldn't know about that. I think it would be good if you were playing retro stuff like beach boys or Kingsman. I suspect you could try and use it in a Ramones-esque band, but I fear it lacks the punch. Still, they're a real nice bass for a nice price, if you like the look and all, I'd go for it.
  5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I've never played any myself, but have always thought that a black longhorn would look awesome

6. I got to play a longhorn(unplugged though) the short scale was kinda weird for me but it way soooo light....being hollow and all.The price is nice n cheap but I hear they are cheaply made out of crummy materials and all.....

I love how they look...the retro look and all.Can`t really say much more about them...just my humble 2cents worth!

As always.....

Rock On!!
  7. I have a DC, its a fretless now, but I havent plugged it in for about a year or so, but they arent bad. Kinda unique tone, not much bass, but it isnt weak sounding.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Played a few. I think I played the Hodad. It felt fine, but the thing just screamed "Cheap". I couldn't get over the feeling I was going to break it, or have to put in some batteries or screws or something. Other than that, it was ok I guess.
  9. I played a Hodad too, it just didn't feel right, and it played kinda crappy. (this may have been because it was the floor model at the local seedy music store, but it left a bad impression on me)

So I bought a Reverend Rumblefish, I got the nice retro looks and some real quality. I'm happy.
  10. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hmmm... To me, the whole beauty of the Dano re-issues is that they don't claim to be anything BUT a cheaply made axe. That doesn't mean that they aren't WELL made, or that they are not true to the original intent... The whole vibe with the vinyl tape on the sides, the hardboard body, and the little bridge is what they're all about. I have been borrowing a friend's Longhorn for the past few weeks, and lemme tell you, I get some serious tones out of the thing. It's funny, this morning in church, I'm thinkin' "This little bass has got bottom for days!!", then to come here and see that folks find that they lack bottom. Wow... I guess it's all in the bass itself.

I'm kind of a "Why buy it when I could make one" guy, and I am really thinking of doing a pseudo-Longhorn as my next home-made. If I were you Punk4, I'd not let anyone else's opinion sway me too much towards or away from the Dano. Ya gotta make up your own mind...

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What rllefebv said!

Right on, bro!

Punk4Christ, don't let us make your decision for you.

If you like the looks, feel and tone of the Dano, and don't like any others in that price range as much, then I say go for it!