1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wallsb21, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Wallsb21

Wallsb21

Feb 10, 2016
    I have an ibanez 205b 5 string bass with active emgs,but I'm looking for a new bass and was thinking of going to a 4 string this time. Curious if anyone has any opinions on which ones to look at. Something with a unique tone and sound or just great tone. Thanks

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Highly depends on your budget. If you could let us know around how much you're willing to spend it might give us a better idea of what to recommend.

MTFD24 likes this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You do mean passive when you say great tone, right?
    Under $400?
    Over $400 but under $800?
    No need to really pay more.

4. Wallsb21

Wallsb21

Feb 10, 2016
    Willing to spend between 400 to 700, I was looking at the shecter stealth 4 string

5. Wallsb21

Wallsb21

Feb 10, 2016
    Looking at passive or active doesn't matter to me

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    IMO Schecter and Ibanez have a similar vibe. If you want to stay in the same neighborhood they're one possibly.

If you want contrast look towards Fender or any similar passive bass. They are the other end of the spectrum in terms of tone.

What styles of music are you playing now? Are there additional genres you want more flexibility to cover?

7. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    What do you like and dislike about your current bass?

Honestly, if you don't know what you are looking for then just go to the local music shop and pick up every single bass regardless of price, name on headstock, shape or color until you find something you like.

dragon2knight and lancimouspitt like this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    This one is really nice but it's $800 plus.
    141sah5.
    The Model T is under $700, though.
    axza88.

9. Wallsb21

Wallsb21

Feb 10, 2016
    I pretty much stick to metal/nu metal some times some tool like stuff, pretty much sticking to those genres

09wkd likes this.
  10. Wallsb21

Wallsb21

Feb 10, 2016
    I love the neck on the ibanez it plays fast, now after adding the active emgs it sounds great, nothing really I don't like about it. Basically just looking for new bass to try a 4 string and want to try a different brand maybe since I've only been playing since may so thought I might expand outside of ibanez

11. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Schecter is good especially from an aesthetic angle for what you're doing. Probably not so much the realm for an old school bass like a P or Jazz, although some people have had success in that dept - Steve Harris comes to mind although he is probably not exactly in your wheelhouse. Maybe an Epi Tbird as another consideration?

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The Schecter Stealth has an interesting pickup combination- I haven't tried one yet, but have had a Schecter Elite. Decent quality bass.
    There are a lot of basses that fall within your price range, I don't know if you're looking for something similar what you have already in the 5er or want something completely different.
    As mentioned above, there are the Fender basses, also Spectors but based on the kind of music you play, one particular bass comes to mind and probably also worth trying out at a store. A Sterling Ray 34. Super beefy and unique sound that only a Ray can do.
    That being said, it's a good idea to go to the store and try a few basses out.
    Screen shot 2016-02-11 at 1.34.16 AM.

Attached Files:

13. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    I recently noticed that Schecter and ESP LTD's are made in the same factory, I really like my LTD. In that price range they are pretty nice, so that's another brand you could check out.

Products - LTD Basses - The ESP Guitar Company

The F series are bad ass metal looking without being over the top, just really nice mean looking shape. They have a 35" neck though so kind of long, great for drop tuning BEAD though.
    xlarge.

The B series is 34", more standard look.
    xlarge.

I can get everything from nice soft/boomy reggae tones to sharper edged metal tones from the EQ

There are other model styles in that top link.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    dragon2knight likes this.
  14. Wallsb21

Wallsb21

Feb 10, 2016
    That's why I was looking at a schecter because I knew they were similar to ibanez but different enough I think, plus my Ibanez has soap bar pups and the stealth has p and mm pups so I thought I could get a different tone from that

15. Feralhog

Feralhog

Dec 29, 2014
    NH
    None
  16. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    The best thing you can do is play many different basses. You may or may not like different neck profiles better than what you have now.

JimmyThunder likes this.
  17. madbass6

madbass6 Banned

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    My opinion..
    If you're willing to invest $799.99 on a "new" low end bass your probably better off spending $799.99 on a "used" higher quality Bass!

18. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    I just picked up a Sterling SUB Ray4...great bass, great $$..........every time I'm in the store and I play an Epiphone Thunderbird I am amazed at the tone, seems (to my ears) more powerful, richer in tone than many of the Fenders, Squiers, Ibanezs there
    Yamaha makes some killer gear in that price range.....the new O Bass by Orange looks cool

19. For $800, I would be looking at a nice high quality used bass. I just saw a Peavey Millennium here on the classified adds for $500. They are sweet basses with a wide variety of tone.

MTFD24 likes this.
  20. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    The most popular bass on TB, i would venture to say, is a p-bass with flats and a tort pickguard. That should save some time...