Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Balor, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Well... after 2 and a half years of waiting, I finally received my 7 string! So, without futher delay, here's the front.

2. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    here's the back

3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Nice! What's the body wood?

4. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Thanks, the body and headstock are my design. The top is cocobolo witha spanish cedar core... it's heavy but damn, she can sustain for days!

PL

5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice indeed.

6. very nice. The headstock and body make it look a little like a Spector on steroids. Enjoy.

7. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
  8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    2 years
    That is a long time eH!

9. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I must admit, I never thought of Spector as an influence on this design... I must admit that she reminds me of a Smith, which wasn't an influence either at the time I drew the body...

Yes, more than 2 years is a long time to wait for a bass. To put things in perspective, Thompson takes around 6 years to build a bass if I'm not wrong. The man who built it is really busy (his shop is the service center for Fender and Martin in Montréal) and he's reputation is really good up here. I can almost remember every little thing that pushed the delivery time to this date... he's had 2 really bad winter, health problems... and considering all I've learn, going to the shop every week, I really don't regret it took so much time.

PL

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Beautiful bass my friend!!! I love that cocbolo!! What are some of the details? P'ups, pre...?

2 years? Wow!
    Who made your bass?

Mine took about 10-12 weeks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...granted it's a 4 stringer, fretless... But still I had a 7 wood laminate body, DiMarzio Ultra Jazz P'ups, Aguilar 18v Pre, locking Neutrik 1/4 inch jack, Cocobolo FB, 3 piece neck, three piece wood-laminate on the headstock, ebony knobs, corner lines and 'Black horn' nut...

CT takes 6 years!! w00t! I hope that is an exageration, cause that is a long time!!!

11. Who's the builder for this bass?

Very nice, BTW.

12. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    At least it's what I heard... might be completly false, but I find it conforting...:) Isn't really known outside of Montréal, his name is Pierre Laporte. Here's his site,Mostly photos of the shop. It's in french, if there's any questions, just ask, I'll be happy to answer them.

As for the spec...

35 inch scale
    3 ply maple neck
    Cocobolo top and back (tross rod cover as well)
    Spanish cedar core
    Ebony fretboard (as well as headplate cap, eletronic back plate and knobs)

Gotoh tuning keys
    Bone nut
    banjo fret
    Schaller locking strap buttons
    Villex pickups
    Hipshot aluminium bridge

turned out much clearer and brighter then I anticipated. But the flexibility of the Villez system brings those caracteristic under control.

13. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Gorgeous!! Seems like two years was definately worth it. Congrats!

14. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Yes, it was.

I should say that I have a fretless 6 he made in 1996 for someone else. It kept me company for most of that time... :D

PL