Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smeric, Jun 11, 2004.

1. smeric

smeric

Jun 11, 2004
    Naperville, IL
  2. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    its not much of a step up from an epiphone...but if u like the way it sounds..go for it.

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    what sort of tone are you looking for? That is the biggest question to which bass. I wouldn't base it so much on looks as what you want.

Do you like 4, 5, 6, or even more string basses?
    Do you want a fretted?
    What sort of music do you like to play?

I wouldn't spend too much on a bass until you have an idea of answers to questions similar to this. (preaching to myself here, also....). Of course, if you know answers to similar questions as this, we might be able to steer you in the right direction.

FWIW, if you aren't sure. Go to a large bass store (one with a lot of different basses). Give yourself plenty of time. And play everything they have.

4. smeric

smeric

Jun 11, 2004
    Naperville, IL
    im looking for a fretted 4 string and im into playing a lot of metallica music

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Jazz or PJ bass? Possibly a musicman?

I would try to play each of those before you decide.

6. smeric

smeric

Jun 11, 2004
    Naperville, IL
    does ne 1 know how good of a sound this bass i posted has?

7. I have played several Aria's.

They are decent basses for the money. You can get a good tone for metal with them if thats what your looking for.
    I found them to be quite comfortable and they look pretty decent in person.

However..i dont see it as a dramatic step up from what your playing now.

Personally i would maybe look around a bit longer...or save a lil bit longer to get yourself something more.

8. I'd go for something a little higher up. Aria's are good, but not much better than Epiphones, if better at all. Hold on to the Epi and save your money a bit.

Unless, of course, there is an Aria at a store near your house that you have played and that calls out to you. If that's the case, go for it! If you find it's quality relative to the Epiphone justifies buying it, then by all means.