1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thijmen B, Nov 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Thijmen B

Thijmen B

Nov 29, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hey there,

I'm looking into getting a new, quality, bass. I've been playing on a cheap second hand Yamaha I found for a pretty long time. As I've noticed, the bass really isn't the thing that makes me want to pick it up (as it's also VERY ugly). I really know what sound I'm looking for in a bass, and I tend to lean towards precision basses with Seymour Duncan quarter pound pickups.
    The problem is: My local guitar store is really quite small and online I just can't find a precision bass that makes it worth the money I want to spend.
    Then, I saw a Fender Player P bass which looked gorgeous. Now, I know, P's sound a lot like each other, but I really want to know if the quality of the bass keeps up with the other fenders. It's a lot cheaper than all the other Fender P basses, so that's what is making me wonder if the thing is any good.
    Also, when I saw a comparison of a very cheap precision bass vs. an expensive one (using the same pickups) I noticed that they almost sound identical.

The reason why I'm asking this here is because you all seem to have great contributions to things I'm looking for! Thank you guys in advance.

(also, my apologies if my English isn't on par. I'm from the Netherlands ;-))

BassmanM, PillO and bobyoung53 like this.
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just FYI, your English is better than a lot of native speakers here ;)

okcrum, BassmanM, Gorn and 3 others like this.
  3. Thijmen B

Thijmen B

Nov 29, 2018
    Netherlands
    Haha, sorry for that. I'm still a bit insecure about it for some reason.

4. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

Welcome... Nothing wrong with the Player series, they are actually pretty good. I took one for a spin and really liked it. MIM Fenders are getting better and better.

garp likes this.
  5. Nothing wrong with a Yamaha; they are very good instruments, even the inexpensive ones. But, if it doesn't inspire you to play, then move on to something else.

Something to keep in mind; your sound is as much a product of amp, cabinet, and strings as the bass itself. Look at some very recognizable bass players' tone - they change up instruments and they still sound the same.

My suggestions are as follows. Find a bass that you like and is comfortable to play. Go and try several/many. Once you have found one you like playing, try it with a variety of amps and cabinets.

Mili likes this.
  6. Thijmen B

Thijmen B

Nov 29, 2018
    Netherlands
    Thanks for the advice. I really don't like the feel of the Yamaha anymore and when I compared it to others it felt way worse. Do you have any specific recommendations for a good bass for the price?

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, the Player series ought to be a good bass.

To explain the price thing: Fender has production in the US (Made in America, MIA) and in Mexico (MIM). They used to also build basses in Japan but that was discontinued. Generally speaking, the higher-end basses are MIA and the more medium-range are MIM, but if you spend any time on Talkbass you'll see lots of arguments about whether MIA are really worth the extra money and how good the MIMs really are, etc. It used to be that the main series of products were "Standard" (MIM) and "American Standard," but this year they dropped that. MIM basses are now "Player" and MIA start with "American Professional." They also have a subsidiary company, Squier, that makes affordable versions of the same designs in Asia.

The point of all this being, that the "Player" bass you're looking at is the successor to the old MIM "Standard," and is indeed pretty much a standard-level, workmanlike bass. At the end of the day, at any rate, if it feels good and sounds good, it is good. If you like it and can afford it, go for it.

8. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Fender MIM basses are now very good - I own a MIM P from 2017 which I prefer over my 2014 American Standard P.
    People are saying good things about the Player series as well, so you can buy with confidence.

One thing, though - try it out if you can first. Even if the bass is a good one, you should make sure it's suitable for you.

garp likes this.
  9. Phil60

Phil60

Jul 2, 2018
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a Player P and a Player J, and I am very happy with both. They feel great in my hands and they sound great. If you like the feel and sound, it will make a great instrument.

10. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Player series is great, I love my J-bass... Welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

11. Thijmen B

Thijmen B

Nov 29, 2018
    Netherlands
    Thank you guys for your responses.. Loving the site so far!

12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You might want to try this.
    Fender Limited Edition '70s P bass.
    Feels and sounds like a USA-made Fender.
    I've played a few dozen Fenders the past few months and this is the one that really impressed me.
    C730-AA6-A-1-C0-B-42-BF-A0-EE-1-E07-D5-E29-ECE.

13. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    There was a Nate Mendel P bass on here a few days ago it has what your looking for SD quarter pounders and all!!

14. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I was *very* close to buying a new player series before I recently found a good deal on a used standard series. I was really drooling over that light blue. They play great IMHO

15. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    The only complaint I have about my Player P is the fretboard edges are a little sharp, but other than that I love it.