Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Kat_Mia, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Silver Sorcerer told me to pop over here and to tell you about my new bass! :)

It's an Andreas Zeller bass and it's 3 years old. 3/4 size and can't rmember what the wood is but it's a bit more mustardy than the chestnut wood! :meh:

I've named it number 3 as it's my third bass and if you look carefully under the neck between fingerboard and bass there's a number 3 written in blue pen! :D

I'm getting on really well with him so far and in March next year we're off to the Royal Albert Hall, in July, we're off to Germany for a week on a school concert tour and in Augsut, we're off to France for a concert tour with the County Orchestra! Busy busy! :D

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    show us pictures if this wonderful sounding bass:D

3. So Kat, that is a pretty nice bass from what I've seen of them. You have to tell us how it sounds, or make a .wav file with your computer so we can hear it;- assuming you can take a break from your touring schedule! I've seen some little pics of them on the sites where they sell them, but nothing up close. Tell me, does it have dark wood trim (possibly ebony) where the neck meets the ribs? Was it made in Reghin, Romania?

How does it compare to your other basses or other basses in your section? It sounds like you really like it.

:)

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Nice to hear from you, KATSMEOW....you vanished there for a minute.

5. Agreed - Great news to hear about your tour too.

6. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Heya! I've been working loads before I go back to school.

Silversorcerer, yes, it has got a dark trim width ways (back to front) along line of neck. Can't see where it is made though, lost my torch! :rolleyes:

Will take piccies tomorrow if I can. I love it! :D

7. Reason I am so nosey is that I have been checking out a 4/4 5-stringer from Romania. See: http://hora.orizont.net/pages/bass.htm . In the United Snakes, I have not seen the Zeller basses for sale, perhaps they are sold under a different name like Mathias Thoma or Florea Carpathia, but not the 4/4 with 5 strings. I have found a factory in Romania that is willing to ship direct here for a reasonable price, but I'm hesitant to buy sight unseen, so I'm trying to get a good review from someone who owns one made there, and has a basis for comparison (since this is your third bass and you are actually playing in some situations with other players, you're highly qualified). The distinguishing characteristics are the shoulder trim wood, a more orangey color, similar to what you described, and they are built in Reghin. I know the Gligas are built there also, but most likely not in the Hora factory.

So I guess you give it a very positive review? :)

8. I had the flat back solid wood 4 string 3/4 bass made at the Hora factory, it did have the ebony strip at the neck/body.. it was a older one so the sound had opened up a little..I liked it but sold it because it was flat back. I wish I had not sold it because it really did have a good tone to it.. I have been thinking of ordering a new one but the shipping to LA would be like $500.00

9. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Oooo, that's another thing; it's not flat backed but very comfy to play. :p

10. Why would you sell a bass because it was a flatback? Or, if you didn't like flatbacks, ( I can't imagine why a person wouldn't, unless the braces were vibrating which is the most common problem with flatbacks.) why did you buy it to begin with?
    And obviously, we don't recomend buying a bass without seeing and playing it first.
    Sorry Fetch, I sound a little like the "BASS GESTAPO" here...YOU VIL NOT BUY A BASS WITHOUT FIRST SEEING AND PLAYING!!! :eyebrow:
    Anyway, it's not a good idea.

11. Thanks for the vote of confidence there, Fetch;- insured shipping to Atlanta is even more. Still, if it's a nice bass, the price is reasonable and what I am looking for is difficult to find. Even Hora will have to build it custom order. My other (within buget constraints) option is building one myself, which is already underway as far as materials and plan aquisition, with the asistance of some of the forum luthiers. I may do both. That way I'll have something to compare my built results with and I can always sell which ever one is not the favorite (someone else will be able to follow Paul's advice, which is the best advice if the product you are after is in plentiful local supply).

So Kat, pretty please get the flashlight (a torch might have an unpleasant effect on the tone of that Carpathian spruce) and being careful not to fall in through the f hole, see if you can see a "Reghin" tag, or other definitive evidence of origin. :)

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hehe...I always loved that UK term for a flashlight..."torch".

13. At the time I needed the money more than the bass. It was a perfectly good bass. I now wish I hadn't sold it.. I do prefer round backs over flat though. I have some pic's of it somewhere.

14. But why do you prefer carved backs?

15. Thanks for the "enlightenment" there, Marcus. Now that I am a confirmed "colonial" fool, go ahead and put the torch to it and see what your can see in there with your "Kat" eyes, Kat Mia. Another option would be to shine some sunlight from a window in there with a small mirror, assuming the torch is still hiding.... :oops:

16. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Just posted what it says inside mine in the Zeller Basses thread. :D