Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassphase, Sep 5, 2004.

1. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    Well, after more than 4 months of searching, I finally bought a bass. I decided on a Wan Bernadel which is a Chinese copy of a Gand Bernadel although the shoulders are more scooped than pictures of the original. Fully carved with a rich focused tone, lots of growl in the lower registers, a ton of sustain and a very vocal like upper rigister. In other words, just what I was looking for AND it fit in my budget.I got it for $4350 which incuded a Mooradian cover and my choice of strings. I tried out 2 very nice Juzek basses, one made by John Juzek himself, a Paesold German bass, another German bass, 3 Rumanian bases, a beat up French bass and about 4 more Chinese basses. The Juzeks were really nice and I was tempted but the Wan Berbadel was a little louder and darker--maybe not quite as sweet--but it's a new bass and it already sounds very open. I ended up allowing myself an $8000 budget and was very pleased when I decided that I like the Wan Bernadel best for a little over half my budget.

It's set up nicely with low string height, has bridge adjusters, a French bridge and German tuners and end pin, I bought it at String Emporium in Arizona. Steve Koscica was very generous and heped me a great deal in my selection.

bob

2. Congratulations! I've visited that site, as we all probably have, and was curious about the Wan Bernadels.
    Glad to hear they sound good! Thanks...

3. Congratulations!

Pictures? What strings? (just curiousÂ…)

- Wil

4. bassphase

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    No pics yet but I'll post some if anybody's interested. The strings are Spirocore orchestra and the dealer threw in an extra G string (weich) because he thought I might like it. They seem balanced with the one weich installed and I appreciate the softer G string. I guess I should put on the orchestra G string so I can make a direct comparison.

bob

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I am glad you like your new Bass.

We discussed this last year because there was doubt by some, especially me as to what part of a Bernadel they actually copied other than the name. Having owned and played a real Bernadel for several years I thought to raise the question.

On the Juzek, let me be the bad guy here and inform the part of the world that is unaware of the facts......

John Juzek NEVER made a Bass in his life. Never...... He started a commercial Business in the 1920s with his two brothers but the main brain was Robert Juzek and was first in new Jersey and then moved to New York. The company was and still is Metropolitan Music. With the exception of a few lower grade basses made by the Benedict Lang shop, ALL the Juzek Basses were made by the Wilfer Family. Anton Wilfer, Wenzel Wilfer and now the shop of Emanuel Wilfer. Anton was in Czech before WWII and all Wenzels basses are from Germany.

I had met Robert Juzek many times but usually dealt with his son Bobby as I sill talk with him on occasion. Peter Eibert worked for Juzek when I met him about 35 years ago and both him and Bobby have confirmed this information.

There are no Juzek 'made' Basses other than those that are Labelled for resale in USA. John Juzek Did make some Violins and maybe a Cello or two but I doubt many of these were exported for commercial sale.

They did a great thing by bringing good quality string instruments over at a fair price here but the Basses are Wilfer's!!

6. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Congratulations on your new Bob. It would be interesting to play one of those Wan Bernadels that Steve Koscica sells. I've not heard a bad about them yet and they seem like a good deal.

7. bassphase

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    Having never played a REAL Bernadel I'm totally unqualified to answer. Although I would have bought this bass regardless of it's name or what it was supposed to be a copy of.

Thanks for setting the record straight, Ken. I was only going by what I was told by the seller here in California. I've played a few Wilfer basses and I really liked them--maybe that's why I like the Juzeks so much...

regards

bob

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Your Bass looks really nice. The old thread had to do with naming instruments that might have little or nothing to do with the original other than using the name.

This does not take anything away from your bass at all. Many Basses from France, Germany, England and Italy had similar shapes 150-200 years ago. I was just curious then why they picked the name Bernadel, that's all.

Good luck with you new Bass..... It is Beautiful and the price sounds great as well for a Bass of that quality.....

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There are several comparisons on the String Emporium website of the two basses(original and the copy). I don't notice many similarities frankly. The F holes are a little different, the shape really isn't that similar. However, if the bass sounds that good, it will only continue to mature. It really doesn't matter how close the copy is!

10. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I honestly think the name game is mostly crap. It either is or is not a good bass. From everyting I have heard/read you made a fiine choice. Congrats on the new addition to the family! :D

az