New bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kboyd, Oct 9, 2004.

1. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    The newest. Custom for Byron Santo. 7.5 lb six string.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of the shape, way less of dyed through woods, but it looks like an outstanding job.
    What are the controls on this beauty ?
  3. i hope it plays better than it looks :bag:
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The most important question is how does it sound?

5. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Very nice, that deserves to be full size!
    What's the spacing on this one?
  6. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Thanks Cliff. It is a bit unusual, but hey, the guy I built it for is quite an unusual player. Sounds quick and punchy. Spacing is 17mm on bridge. Basslines custom pickups, b,t,m and pull contour controls with a toggle switch for each pickup that changes the frequency response.
    As for the shape, it is built for a guy who has thoracic outlet syndrome and required a light bass that balances well. The upper horn extends just past the 9th fret and is a easy to play while standing.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I think it's beautiful, and probably my favorite double-cut bass I've seen in a long while.
  8. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I think the shape is actually really awesome, it has the horns of a Ritter Okon mixed with the back end of a JP, with its own style mixed in here and there. I think it looks outstanding. I also really like the dyed through wood, I think thats a nice touch.

Those two eyes in the body are perfect little accents as well :)

Nice job!
  9. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    What the hell, here is the back and a closeup of the eye.
  10. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I think your bass looks awsome. It reminds me of the ocean or the beach. :cool:
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Don't forget to bring a towel!

Seriously, that's one trippy bass.
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I love the bigger shots of it. From far away (eg, the thumbnail in the first post) it looks hideous -- as if it's sick. Closer up though, it's definitely gorgeous. The shape is also very cool -- and I didn't even know Basslines did custom pickups :eek: -- very cool.
  13. cant say i care for that shape but the finish is amazing. cool stuff
  14. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    is it possible? to have a 6 string bass for less than 9 lbs.? thats pretty and kind of reminds me of a a Carl Thompson 6 mates with an abalone shell
  15. Byron Santo

Byron Santo

Jul 8, 2003
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My custom Basslines are Linear Humbuckers. Each pickup has a 3-way mini toggle that changes the resonance peak of the coils.

16. Is it me or do the knots on either side of the last fret look like eyes and the cuved grain between the pickups look like a cow nose. I swear I see a cow in that bass, and Its coming to get me! :D

Seriously though, it looks very well crafted. Enjoy
  17. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Damn, I never noticed that cow nose before!! Don't fear the nose ;) Thanks for the nice comments.Even if you don't like it, you owe it to yourself to check out Byrons playing. Check out Byron and Scott Hubbell playing dust in the wind on bass.
  18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    See reply #9.
  19. Man I love your work!
  20. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Omg...its looking at me make it stop!! :eek:

Seriously, I love that finish, nice work.