Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassnboards04, Oct 13, 2004.

1. bassnboards04

Sep 25, 2004
    hi i was wondering...whats a good second bass...ive played for about a year and a half and im just starting slap bass and my budget is about $500 at the most ive got an ESP B50 right now and my band plays mostly A7X type music(metal...but still instrumental) and thanks for ur help :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    well, there are TONS of options. Lately, i've been digging the sound of my jazz bass with a pick in a metal setting. really growly. Might be worth a shot. But, for what its worth, P-basses with a pick can REALLY punch through a mix, and stingrays tend to be popular in metal. Maybe you can pick up a stingray SUB or a used J, P, or Stingray. But really, its up to you. play what you like, find what suits you sound and feel wise. i wouldnt get to hung up on a "metal looking" bass... As far as my experience goes, they look cool at first, and then start looking kinda cheesy and cheap.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A used American P bass, Musicman SUB or Fender Jazz Geddy Lee would be excellent choices in your price range.

If you must have new, check out a G&L Tribute L2000 or an MTD Kingston.