New bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rohanando, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Rohanando

Rohanando

Apr 2, 2020
    Hi there, i've been playing bass for some time and have been accepted to play with a band and we have made a couple of songs, mainly punk music, but really i'm interested in all styles i listen to(play with a pick and with fingers) . I have been playing so long with the same bass(harley benton Standard series) so i was wondering witch bass should i look for, to give me some motivation and a cool sound, something not very expensive. My sound comes from a Fender Rumble 100. Any ideas? Thank you and sorry for my english

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not very expensive means $500 or so?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  3. Rohanando

Rohanando

Apr 2, 2020
    For exampld

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    *Edited

How much do you plan on spending, less than $500?
    Squier Contemporary Jazz...Sweetwater exclusive at $429.
    Might be a little more potent than your current bass.
    ICSD20006063-front-large-jpg-auto.png

5. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Fender PJ.

Ray34

EatS1stBassist and Rohanando like this.
  6. I suggest you look at Jackson basses. They make some really good basses, for the price, compared to others of those same prices. They have really great, fast necks. The ‘Spectra’ line, has a thinner neck like a Fender Jazz Bass. The ‘Concert’ line has a thicker neck like the Precision. They start at $199 and go up to several thousand dollars.
    Here is a link to Jackson Basses

7. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Squire classic vibe p bass. Or J bass. A ***k of a lot of bass for the money. My squire cv p bass was one of my favorites and I think I paid like $300 for it. b7814b72ae2a6b0b0ad3f342094188e6.jpg

Masking my profanity. I'm working on self improvement! But that word is actually 'heck'....

8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    tons of great choices makes this the best and worst of times. I've currently settled on the bolt-on Epiphone Thunderbird IV @ $400 new which sounds incredible thru my Rumble etc. and and beyond incredible when hit with a thumbpick Epiphone Thunderbird IV - بحث Google

9. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Fender Player, Squier Classic Vibe, Yamaha BB or Ibanez TMB would all make a fine second (and even “forever”) bass. Budget will help narrow that down, as well as a few specifications (P, J or PJ? Active or passive? Thick or thin neck?)

But the most important thing is you get out there and try Basses! The key to picking the “right” bass is listening to your heart (and hands and ears.) yes, I said listen to your ears. :smug:

PS I gigged a Rumble 100 for a few years. It’s now my rehearsal amp. Sounds especially nice with a P bass. ;)

10. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017

11. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    I suggest you buy a better amp (you can get a lot of amp for that money when you buy used) and install or have installed a (set of) pickup(s) in your current bass and do or have done a thorough, really good setup on it. More amp is WAY more important at that price level than more bass, and even cheapo basses can be made to play and sound shockingly good for a little money/time. Not so for amps.

12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Pbass = Punk Rock and everything else for that matter!

13. La Faro

La Faro

Jun 20, 2016
    Da Nang, Viet Nam
    Sire P7

Both active and passive, P and Jazz (Bridge) pickup, 4 or 5 string

duruk, Rohanando and Dabndug like this.
  14. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Dude your profile pic makes me think you're 15, but I dig it.

15. littlebun

littlebun

Nov 16, 2004
    This is one of the coolest basses ever from Squire. Contemporary and hip.

16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I was this close to buying one from Sweetwater even though I made a vow to only buy G&L basses.
    This one's nice, too.
    oshjz5khq8m1f78zgqos-1.jpg

17. La Faro

La Faro

Jun 20, 2016
    Da Nang, Viet Nam
    But for punk, wouldn't you want a P pick up. (Was why I suggested the Sire P7 over their Jazz option)

Also where does the guy live, he apologised for his English, so that may restrict the Fender/Squier options.

18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    This is a Jazz bass and as punk as it gets.
    218975882-9e45eb27f0-jpg-cf.jpg

19. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Waterloo, ON Canada
    Yamaha is always a good choice, especially on a budget

Lackey and Tubehed like this.
  20. 5aP

5aP

Jun 29, 2020
    If you can find one, I would sudgest a Sire. V3 will do.
    I got one, and my setting is more jazz/blues kind of vibe. Then a friend of mine came, made just a few twicks and suddenly he got a punk bass tone.
    And I'm using only passive mode.

duruk and Rohanando like this.