Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SIRPHYSCO1, Feb 20, 2005.

1. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Hello I'm thinking about buying a new bass because I've had my Squier Affinity p-bass for like 2 years and it really doesnt make me happy anymore. It makes a whole bunch of wierd noises and vibrations and I really want a new bass.

I really dont know where to start and im not exactly sure what kind of sound i want. I'm in a band and we play Punk/Indie/Rock/Ska something like that. I was thinking about a j-bass because the slim neck but idk there is so much out there. I pretty much want soemthing that is versatile and that doesnt just play one way.

If anyone can offer help thank u so much.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would look at jazzes, as well as G & L Tributes.

3. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Yeah. what about a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass ? is it good?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great bass. One of my favorite Fenders.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The Fender Special P-bass is sweet. It's got a Jazz Neck, P-bass pickups in the P-bass spot, and a J-bass pickup by the bridge.

It plays amazing, I was gonna get one but I went with a 5-string.

6. I have an American Deluxe Jazz, and I love it. It's great...with two pickups and more tone knobs, you can create alot more range of sounds than with a P (which I also love). Jazz's are also better sounding IMO for slapping and more funky type stuff. The one nice thing about the deluxe version is the three band eq, because having a mid control is really nice (not sure if the MIM deluxe has this feature). You can't really go wrong with a jazz for versatility, which is what you're looking for.

7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    The Geddy Lee jazz bass Rocks!!! Great quality in building but the pickups are passive and need a powerful amp if your playing with a band. You can get a used one on e-bay cheap. ;)

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Geddy bass is a sweet instrument, and is pretty awesome without needing mods.

9. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Cool Thanks ill look into the Geddy Lee some more and at some of the other Jazzes

10. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Hey I was lookin around and a lot of the bands i really like use spector basses. What do you all think about the Performance or performer series. Or any suggestions from spector. also will using a pick be easy on these kind of basses.

thx-