1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SIRPHYSCO1, Feb 20, 2005.

1. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Hello I'm thinking about buying a new bass because I've had my Squier Affinity p-bass for like 2 years and it really doesnt make me happy anymore. It makes a whole bunch of wierd noises and vibrations and I really want a new bass.

I really dont know where to start and im not exactly sure what kind of sound i want. I'm in a band and we play Punk/Indie/Rock/Ska something like that. I was thinking about a j-bass because the slim neck but idk there is so much out there. I pretty much want soemthing that is versatile and that doesnt just play one way.

If anyone can offer help thank u so much.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would look at jazzes, as well as G & L Tributes.

3. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Yeah. what about a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass ? is it good?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great bass. One of my favorite Fenders.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The Fender Special P-bass is sweet. It's got a Jazz Neck, P-bass pickups in the P-bass spot, and a J-bass pickup by the bridge.

It plays amazing, I was gonna get one but I went with a 5-string.

6. I have an American Deluxe Jazz, and I love it. It's great...with two pickups and more tone knobs, you can create alot more range of sounds than with a P (which I also love). Jazz's are also better sounding IMO for slapping and more funky type stuff. The one nice thing about the deluxe version is the three band eq, because having a mid control is really nice (not sure if the MIM deluxe has this feature). You can't really go wrong with a jazz for versatility, which is what you're looking for.

7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    The Geddy Lee jazz bass Rocks!!! Great quality in building but the pickups are passive and need a powerful amp if your playing with a band. You can get a used one on e-bay cheap. ;)

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Geddy bass is a sweet instrument, and is pretty awesome without needing mods.

9. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Cool Thanks ill look into the Geddy Lee some more and at some of the other Jazzes

10. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Hey I was lookin around and a lot of the bands i really like use spector basses. What do you all think about the Performance or performer series. Or any suggestions from spector. also will using a pick be easy on these kind of basses.

thx-