New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sk8ingkid7555, May 1, 2005.

1. Sk8ingkid7555

May 1, 2005
    Alright, it's come time for me to get a new bass and I come to you guys for help. I'm looking for a new bass, about $500 give or take a bit. Suggestions? I've been looking at the Ibanez BTB400, any other better choices?
  2. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    How about a MIM Fender Jazz?
  3. Sk8ingkid7555

May 1, 2005
    Well, I've talked to a couple people and most of them have told me the Ibanez is of better quality and an an overall better bass than the MIM fenders. Also, I really like the body of the Ibanez btb even though a lot of people say it's too big and heavy, i like it.
  4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    me too,looking for a new bass but my budget is pretty less than yours...$350 or $ 400,maybe used :bag:
  5. I played one of thoes the other day. They sounded pretty awesome but definatly played like a mexican. Ibanez is pretty cool but I prefer the fender tone
  6. Dean makes some really nice basses for around $500...
  7. Sk8ingkid7555

May 1, 2005
    hmm i've been looking at the fenders.... it's mainly between the fender bass and btb
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You should check out an MTD Kingston and a G&L Tribute L2000 before you buy anything. Both have much better tone than the BTB IMHO, and the G&L is way more versatile.
  9. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    kingston beats all trust me!!! Im a Fender fan to but a MTD kingston beats all low end fenders (not my fender ;) ) but the low end ones
    IMO better than maney $800 dollar basses actual many will disagree but I like it better than Spector Euros.
  10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    If you're a little handy with a soldering iron..... one of these...

... with a set of these (easy, drop-in install - perfect fit)....

... for under $300 shipped. Even on the used market, you'd have to find a gem to do better for that price.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You don't even need a pickup swap! The stock pickups on those are sweetness, and I would recommend that bass to any beginner. Yes, I have the fretless version which is as well built as any of my high end instruments. Same build quality as my ex-MM Stingray and my current Vintage P.
  12. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    +1 on the build quality. In my quiver, it is a very close second to my Lakland.

Pickups, well..... personal taste can be subjective. The stockers are certainly not poor, in any sense - just a different tone. I mentioned it because, if these guys snag the bass for $199, there's enough left in their stated budgets - and IMHO, it's an upgrade.

I guess I just have a fetish for the thickness of those Model J's.....

(C'mon, Timothy.... slap a set of Dimarzios in and come on over to the dark side!!!! ) ;)
  13. My vote for the G&L Tribute L-2000. Great bass for a great price.
  14. Sk8ingkid7555

May 1, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definately keep the Fender MIM basses, and G&L, and Kingston basses in mind. What is the difference between the lowest Kingston Bass and the Heir?
  15. [ NG:E ] Asuka

[ NG:E ] Asuka

Apr 8, 2005
    To me the BTB's sound bad live... I've used several and was VERY dissapointed with the live tone, and recording tone... It sounds ok in your room though...
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Heir has two pickups, a humbucker at the bridge, and a single coil at the neck.

The Kingston has one, the bridge humbucker.
  17. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

If you're really looking to buy new, the MTD Kingstons are a good choice, and the Yamahas are solid, as well.

If you're open to the possibility of a used bass, you could probably get a Lakland 44-01 or 44-02, or a Musicman S.U.B., or a Fender Geddy Lee for around $500, and you would have a REALLY sweet bass (assuming you made sure it was set up right and not mistreated, etc.).

Here's one worth looking at:
    Lakland 44-01. Why so cheap???
    Another one, 5-string:
    Lakland 55-01 on ebay
    A Musicman SUB Sterling:
    And two Fender Geddy Lees:
    Geddy #1
    Modified Fender Geddy Lee

$500 usually doesn't buy anything great new, but you can often pick up a really good used bass for that amount if you look around.
  18. timinator

May 8, 2005
    Ebay is fine if you've played the exact same model for a half hour or so. Reviews and advice can mostly weed out the potential disappointments. Trying the bass yourself will only tell you if it's right FOR YOU. Pretty good input in these earlier responses, too.