1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by primus_55, Jun 30, 2005.

1. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Hey guys,

Im after a new bass, im really after growl. Ryan martinie like tone, im thinking warwick (of course). Would a double buck be the go for this or a bubinga body vette? Also, could i get warwick like tone from a bongo?

Im going to be playing rock and metal music with whatever i get mostly, but i will have other uses as well.

I cant afford any of the thumbs so they're out.

Any other suggestions would be nice, price range is $2500 AUD.

Thanks! :)

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Don't get a double buck, i played one recently. it isn't all its cracked up to be humbucker-wise. i would recommend a thumb if you can put up with the narrow finger spacing, or a bongo. i think there might be a four string H/S at frontier music near johnston st. the bongo can do everything a warwick can.

Also, try checking out a rickenbacker 4003, they are surprisingly growly and havea booming low end with a clearly defined high end.

Have fun tryin' out the different basses... :)

3. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Keep in mind Warwicks, like most brands, vary from bass to bass, and two identical models may have very different characters. I've only played a Bongo a couple of times, but neither one popped out at me. They certainly have a range of tones with a 4 band EQ, but the ones I played had a certain unescapable character. I think a stingray would suit growl better if not a Warwick.

4. I played metal with a Stingray (still do) and owned a warwick for a while. Both instruments sound great, but my musicman is much higher quality than mij Warwick Corvette was, and played much better. I still regret selling the warwick, but it just wasn't for me. I'm a Musicman type of guy.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If you like Stingrays (and they're being suggested here) maybe try an old Ibanez ATK300. I picked up mine for less than 1/8th your budget in very nice condition. Can't comment on the exact sonic differences between the ATK, Stingray and Thumb as I've never had them all together and it's been a while since I played the last two.

No matter what you decide on, secondhand is much better value for money.

6. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    I agreee.