New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by primus_55, Jun 30, 2005.

1. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Hey guys,

Im after a new bass, im really after growl. Ryan martinie like tone, im thinking warwick (of course). Would a double buck be the go for this or a bubinga body vette? Also, could i get warwick like tone from a bongo?

Im going to be playing rock and metal music with whatever i get mostly, but i will have other uses as well.

I cant afford any of the thumbs so they're out.

Any other suggestions would be nice, price range is $2500 AUD.

Thanks! :)
  2. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Don't get a double buck, i played one recently. it isn't all its cracked up to be humbucker-wise. i would recommend a thumb if you can put up with the narrow finger spacing, or a bongo. i think there might be a four string H/S at frontier music near johnston st. the bongo can do everything a warwick can.

Also, try checking out a rickenbacker 4003, they are surprisingly growly and havea booming low end with a clearly defined high end.

Have fun tryin' out the different basses... :)
  3. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Keep in mind Warwicks, like most brands, vary from bass to bass, and two identical models may have very different characters. I've only played a Bongo a couple of times, but neither one popped out at me. They certainly have a range of tones with a 4 band EQ, but the ones I played had a certain unescapable character. I think a stingray would suit growl better if not a Warwick.
  4. I played metal with a Stingray (still do) and owned a warwick for a while. Both instruments sound great, but my musicman is much higher quality than mij Warwick Corvette was, and played much better. I still regret selling the warwick, but it just wasn't for me. I'm a Musicman type of guy.
  5. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If you like Stingrays (and they're being suggested here) maybe try an old Ibanez ATK300. I picked up mine for less than 1/8th your budget in very nice condition. Can't comment on the exact sonic differences between the ATK, Stingray and Thumb as I've never had them all together and it's been a while since I played the last two.

No matter what you decide on, secondhand is much better value for money.
  6. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    I agreee.