Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pthump, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    Can anyone suggest a bass for me? Little backround.
    I play in a band that plays live shows all the time, we are a pop rock band at our roots, but with a very dancy upbeat feel. Lots of our songs the bass carries the melody, and when not melody bouncy bubbly walking part, or disco like octaves are common. My two basses.. I don't like either of them (SX P/J) and a fender MIM precision) It's time for something new.
    I want it to be punchy and cut through so the melodys i play can be heard, but also keeping the bottom end. My budget is 700$ tops.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    How about a J? :p.

3. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    can you recomend any good Js except fenders? Or any other bass recomends?

4. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Everyone here....will say sadowsky for another J-Bass option.

I on the other hand, say try a musicman sterling/stingray. I love them, but I just relized I can get a P-bass for 500 dollars cheaper, so im going with the P I think, for now anyways. Until I change my mind again....

*Sigh* :crying:

5. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    I forgot to mention, Im primarily playing with a pick, dunno how wild I am about MM basses.

6. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    What is the sound of an ibanez ATK like? With the humbucker? Heard good things, but would like to know the sound.. anyone have any soundclips?

7. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hmmm, well the musicmen I've played, sounded really cool. Is it looks or the sound your not wild and wacky about?

Edit - I have an ibanez artcore with a humbucker, and I can get a punchy sound that cuts through pretty good. Its almost like a P-bass but with more low end to it. Not alot thats its all low end, but like a drop of low end so you come through more. Its hard to explain, but it sounds cool. I play pick too btw.

8. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    You want to "cut through" you say? ONE WORD: Steinberger.

9. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    ...well maybe two words. Pre-Gibson Steinberger.

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    One more word: Amen.
    I just got an XL2 again after I sold my original in the 80's. I friggin' well love it.

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1

I have a 1988 XL2 that I bought new. I didn't have GAS for another bass for 15 years.

'course, then I started hanging out here. :D

I still love my XL2. I'll never sell it. Most solid bass I've ever played in terms of construction, and I can get a great tone out of it. It still plays and looks like it did the day I bought it.

12. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    not to derail my own thread, but the ATK - how do you describe its sound? Is it very musicmanish?