Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by radio_clash, Jul 25, 2005.

1. I'm looking to buy a new bass at the end of August and I'm a bit stuck as to which to choose from my shortlist. I'm caught between the Mike Dirnt P-bass, the Highway One P-bass and the Aerodyne Jazz. I'd appreciate all of your opinions of these basses (I've tried the Highway one and the Aerodyne) as I'm not going to be able to try them again before I buy.

At the moment I'm edging towards the Dirnt P-bass but I've read a few comments on hear about the poor quality control/consistancy of these models, and the dealer I intend to buy from has said there is a four month wait time before they will have a black one in stock again.

So yeah...any opinions/experiences/suggestions are greatly appriciated...

Dave

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The only experience I can offer is about the HWY 1 Fenders. Regardless of what might be said on this forum, the HWY 1 basses are a good buy for the money but so are other models Fender makes in that price range. What you may have heard about poor QC from Fender is accurate; you'll have to pick and choose to find a good one. Make sure the neck, pickups(s) and bridge are properly aligned and that it plays well. Take the pick of the litter even if that means you don't get your favorite color.

3. ruffroka321

ruffroka321

Sep 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    The Mike Dirnt P bass has a very thick neck, but thats all i can really say to help. i looked into it once and sometimes i like thicker - necked basses that have more of a kind of thunderous sound, but this seemed a little much. if u like thick necks then everything im saying doesnt even matter, but if you play faster stuff where you do a lot of fingerwork, i would reccomend against this.

4. *bump*

Another thing I forgot to point out is that I'm gonna HAVE to buy blind...none of the shops round my area stock any of these basses (played them at London Guitar Show last year)

5. PurpleSushi

PurpleSushi

Jul 26, 2005
    North Dakota
    yea i'm going to have to buy blind also. mainly since we odnt have a music store in town or within an hour drive of here. i thought about driving up to canada but, that would be a whole weekend thing and idont have that much time to travel. anyways, i was thinking about getting a Daisy Rock acoustic/ electric. dont diss me heh, cuz i like them and i think they soud good tho i have never heard one except for over the net nor have i been able to hold one.