Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChiliPepper, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Hi folks,

after 2 years i will finally buy a new bass. :hyper: I really wanted to buy the stealth bongo but 2000 € is simply too expensive right now. :(
    I'm looking for either a 5 or a 6 string .the bass should :

-have a versatile sound

-well balanced body

-weight

-comfortable

and it shouldn't cost more than 1000 euro ( approx. 1300 $ )

I really like the Ibanez BTB555 Has anyone here played it ?

Thanks !

2. bump...

3. come on guys !

4. I had a BTB1005 several years ago. I got mine before they started using Bartolini pickups. I liked it. It had a real passive sound to it. Nice neck, good balance, etc...

There are a lot of other choices for the money you are planning on spending so I would shop around and make sure the BTB is for you.

5. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Sting ray 5? Used Bongo? Me and ibanez bass's havent gotten along, so if I were you, I wouldn't buy it.

6. I will defnitely try different basses . What basses would you suggest ? Don't forget that most basses in europe cost a lot more than in the US

7. what basses did you try ?

8. Where could i buy a used bongo ?

9. i don't know...i think i'll visit a few stores and if i don't find anything i can ask Jens at the GTG. Maybe he can help me with the import thing. Thanks anyway :)

10. Dr. Bobo

Dr. Bobo

Aug 17, 2005
    My Peavey Cirrus is the most comfortable bass I've played. Standing the bass is perfectly balanced. Sitting for very long, the bottom horn can jab into the leg a little. I don't generally play sitting down for long enough for it to matter much and it's not very bad at all in the first place. I have the walnut/bubinga 5 string. The sound is pretty versitile. I can get it so sound very bright or very dark just w/ the onboard EQ. Try several different basses. You may be supprised to find a bass you really like is a brand you never thought of yourself playing. I never liked peavey before I played a cirrus. I never really liked Fender but they'd probably be at the top of my list for a 4 string fretless. Don't buy a bass just because of the brand or the look.

11. I will defnitely not do that. Buying a bass just because of the brand or the look is just plain stupid. I'm still not sure if i should buy a 5 or a 6 sting bass :meh:

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think a Ritter would work for you :D What about a Peavy Cirrus or a G&L ?

13. LOL Maybe i can ask him to build one for me , but i won't be able to pay it until the year 2020 or so :D
    Peavey Cirrus ? They're cost about 1700 euro here :(

14. You can't go wrong with a preowned Cirrus. They are easily the best buy for the money, IMO.

I know where you can get a cheap Cirrus 5, PM me for info, if you are interested.

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The prices are a biotch in Europe. Also, most of you TB'ers live in the US, so shipping a bass to Europe is hard.

Have you considered a Spector?

16. No. I don't know where i could try one...unfortunately the musicstore in cologne doesn't have Spector. Station Music has Spector but they cost at least 3000 €

17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, since you're in Europe, why not try European makers?
    Hotwire
    Esh
    Sandberg
    Marleaux
    Mayones
    and of course, Warwick.
    All of them should have some models in your price range, and should be easier to get than importing one from the US

18. Sandberg, Marleaux and Mayones are too expensive. I don't know where i could try Hotwire and Esh and i'm not a big fan of Warwick. I'll defnitely try everything they have , don't worry :D

19. just checked their website... looks nice but unfortunately the cheapest 5 string costs 1600 €

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    There was a Bongo 5 in black over at the Dudepit yesterday...maybe it's still there?