new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Edenman, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Edenman

Aug 15, 2005
    Two questions - just wanted peoples opinions about getting a new bass. Im interested in a 5 string (new or used, probably preferrably used in really good condition to try and save some money) - was thinking about a Spector, but was curious about other thoughts? I estimate my price range is 500-1000 maybe? My musical tastes vary...from GB kind of music, to mainstream rock, to jazzy stuff...I kind of like the jazzy sound.

Second, Ive been playing through my original bass for 10+ years...anyone play through a guild pilot bass? I have seen very few people with them. Mine is still in great condition minus a few small dings here and there. I think it was a solid first bass. thoughts?
  2. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    From what i can tell you need to go to like Sam ash, Guitar center or some big chain, and just play some basses. No one on the board can really tell you what to buy, you have to form your own opinion there. To one person a bass can sound amazing- but to another it could sound like death. I will suggest some things to look at though.
    Spectors- NS2000, not so found of the newest ones, but there nice for the $
    Music man- Seems like you have the $$ for string ray 5, try one out, they are nice.
    Fender- I love fenders, and you could probably get a used re-issue (possibly) or a American Jazz
    Warmoth- If you have the time and money, this could be for you, as you get to choose exactly what you want in your bass, and how you want it to look.
    Used is your friend.
  3. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    definately go to a big chain store (Guitar Center, etc..) like the other guy said. The basses will probably not be set up really well, but will still give you a good idea of feel and sound. PLEASE do yourself a favor and go in the middle of the day during the week. Don't go when there will be alot of people around. If you do, you won't be able to hear yourself think, much less test basses out with all the wanking going on. They will usually have a range of basses all the way from sub $300 Squiers to $2000 Warwicks, etc...

Excellent way to find the bass you are looking for. Then if necessary, search around for one of those basses used.
  4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    If you dont have one of those stores by you, maybe you should check out harmony central or something for reviews. IMO, a lot of the time you go to a store to play a bass, you dont really get what you think youre getting in terms of sound. A lot of the times the strings are old, the amp is half dead... or something else. Not to say that its not the best thing to do, but its not a perfect method.
  5. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Check around, and play as many basses as you can...

But you can't go wrong with a Spector! :smug: :bassist: ;)