Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockoncamel, Feb 1, 2006.

1. rockoncamel

rockoncamel

Feb 1, 2006
    Torquay, UK
    hi people ive just joined the forum, it looks like a goodun,

ive been playing bass for about 6 months now, and im ok at it starting to pick it up, my bass is a see-thru wesley one, i got it off ebay and brought it on looks realy as it was cheap and got me started, but anyway it rattles like f*ck and ive decided its time to get a new one. My mate lent me his mexican 98 P-bass, which had a real good tone to it and felt good to play, he wanted £300 for it with a carlsbro amp, which i thinks a good deal but me being me i decided i wanted a brand new guitar, ive olny realy looked at the fender and was thinking if getting a deluxe series fender, which is like the P-bass but with a J-bass pickup as well and has active pickups as well. I think ill go for this one, but before i do can anyone suggest any other basses in the £500 price range for me, that i might want to try out?? Cheers guys

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    There are so many good basses out there in that price range. The only real suggestion I can make is to go out to some music stores and play everything. Only then can you make a real decision one what bass you like the best.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    The deluxe is a good bass. I'm looking into getting one as well.

Whatever you may choose, it doesn't exist without pics!

-Mark

4. rockoncamel

rockoncamel

Feb 1, 2006
    Torquay, UK
    haha true, i think the deluxe bass is the way to go for me overall

5. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    If you've played it, then get out there and buy it!

You seem to know what you like in a bass. So what's the harm?

-Mark

6. rockoncamel

rockoncamel

Feb 1, 2006
    Torquay, UK
    yea good point i was worried id be chucking money at something i wouldnt like, as ive only played a Pbass and mine, so i thought id get a second opinion, right now its time to clear a credit card to put it on lol

7. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Have you played it before?
    Also, play TONS of other basses before buying this, unless you're 100% Gun-ho on this.
    I'm sure I can speak for us all saying we don't wanna see you grab a bass you don't like.

-Mark

8. rockoncamel

rockoncamel

Feb 1, 2006
    Torquay, UK
    haha yea trouble is the nearest shop near me dont have it in stock ill have to order it through them, and its costs £500 off them, but ive found a place online where i can get it for £440 + p&p so i think ill buy it and take the risk, i mean i couldnt come off this P-bass lol and its same neck and body, so im guessing/hoping ill be safe!!

9. i have the same wesley, and i was in the exact same situation, the wesley is a terrable bass, anything is an imporvement. the delux bass is nice, i was considering getting one but i desisded to save up for a rickenbacker, i was considering getting a black fender delux p/j bass then changeing the gold pickguard for a white one. you can get loads of nice basses in the £500 price range, a second hand fender precision or a second hand fender jazz bass. when i was looking for my wesley replacemnet i just couldent find a bass that i liked so i searched and searched, when i came across the rickenbacker i just loved the sound and style, then i saw the price tag, but after washing hundreds of cars and mowing hundreds of lawns and babysitting i finaly mannaged to raise the cash needed, only took me a year and a half (not bad for a povety stricken student) it should be ariving in april i realy cant wait. anyway i find that if you find something you like forget the price, if you like it its worth saving up for.

10. rockoncamel

rockoncamel

Feb 1, 2006
    Torquay, UK
    woohoo finaly written proof that its the guitar not me lol!!!!! I think ill get my mate to drive me to southhampton (about100millesaway) and take a look in sound control, its a huge music shop, itll cost me £40 in fuel but i guess ill find something there, hopefully a gibson les paul, but i couldnt justify 1300 quid on that....... yet :)

11. lol, i went into a music shop in stoke called route 66 it had a wesley bass exacly the same as ours for £200!!! i couldent belive my eyes, cant be worth more than £40, my rickenbacker still has not come, the store keeps putting the date back, now the date is the 1st of august, so untill then im stuck with a crap bass untill i can find a cheap made-do bass.