Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hookus, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Top is maple, bottom is some kooky looking mahogany I found. Finish is a oil/urethane, about four coats, then two coats of gloss poly on top. Goncolo neck, ebony board. DiMarzio pups (I love these). 'Lectronics go in through the front. Walnut veneer aroune the cavity covers to make up the saw kerf.

This guitar was plagued with problems, and it is absolutely amazing it even got finished. Really sub-par IMO, but everyone who has seen it loves it.

1. The piece of purpleheart on the back is to cover up a huge lesson. Use brad point or forstner bits, thats all I have to say about that. The bit grabbed, and blew all the way through the body, leaving a very nasty tearout, about 3/4 inch, on one hole.

2. The electronic cover broke in half at one point, thank goodness for glue, you can barely see the crack at all, would not notice until I pointed it out.

3. Had a template slip on the neck pocket, resulting in two layers of mahogany for the body, and one layer of maple, separated by a layer of walnut veneer as accent.

4. Decided for some insane reason to solder at the kitchen table rather than the shop (bench was too dirty to mess with...), and only when I smelled smoke did I realize I had knocked the iron off the stand, the mat was smoldering, and I had burned a black charred mark on a $1000 oak dining room table. Guess I put finishing technies to work on things besides guitars next...

5. Oil finish won't stuck to glue? You don't say. I only thought I had all the glue cleaned up, but when buffing it out? Nope. Now I have two ugly spots.

There is a bunch more, but I'm going to get back to playing it now. Plays great, sounds awesome with some half round nickels. Needs a different tone cap to cut on some tone knob noise, but other than that, a very playable bass with a couple small cosmetic issues. This makes number three for me, still learning!

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I can appreciate the work you put into this, but the design really isn't my style.... I don't want to say it is ugly, but....

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    WOW I had to put my sunglasses on to look at that back!
    Nice finish.

4. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Understandable, there will be some changes on the next one. The arm contour also give is the illusion of having less back end than it really does. That, and the downward camera angle make it look wierd, but, in real life it does not look anywhere near as alien. I had another picture that is not quite as design-unflattering, but wanted to take advantage of the light to show off the maple. Next one, however, will have a more forward belly contour, and a not so downwards pointing lower horn.

5. VaantCustom

VaantCustom

Feb 5, 2006
    Canada
    Luthierie is an art, like music, and about self expression. My style's different too, but it's definitely not ugly. I like seeing people get creative w/ designs. Nice job!

6. great workmanship in a quite bizarre looking instrument...

I do love what you did with the fake (I think) control plate and pickguard lines on the top...and the fingerboard looks sweet...

definitely a unique axe...nice job.

7. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I don't understand the fake control plate and pickguard lines, i think it covers the flame top too much. maybe you are marking templates?

8. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    The lines are walnut veneer inlay, and the control plate is indeed on the front.

I really need some better pictures, will post some that do a bit more justice. In actuality, the top and back edges were routed with a 3/4" roundover on a shaper, giving the edge of the body a completely half-circuluar profile. It is much sleeker when you see the whole thing. Here is a mirror pic (for lack of photographer).

I just got the parts for a bass I had started a long time ago, and will have pics up soon. Was working on two simultaneously, It is finished, just need to assemble.

9. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Its all cool, i dig that headstock with the two wood layout, its neat. I'm making me a bass right now and its my first. I had used a template at first and kept cutting on the body and cutting on it untill if I make mine any slimmer, it'll look goofy. heh. By the way, which method did you use to make your taper from wide at heel to narrow at the nut? I've been in the luthier forum and am still trying to understand how using a straight edge will allow me to route it correctly, thanks.

10. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I didn't really like it at first, but when you're holding it, it looks a lot better/more balanced.

11. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Use a straightedge and a template bit on the neck. I like using angle metal (can get at HD for my straight router guides.

Phil-thanks. Like I said it looks goofy on the stand, but the whole thing looks much better, I think the headstock is a bit small, will fix on the next.

12. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I like it!!! Not the everyday bass!!! nice to see something a little out of the norm.