1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassElement, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Hello!

This is my first post on this wonderfull forum =)

I'll make sure it's not going to be my last!

Well yeah back to the thread...

I'm 14 years old and have been playing Bass for around 6 months. I started off with a 4 String Cort Action Bass and even though it's a good starter bass I want to move up...

I play many types of music but mainly Metal-Core.

I have $1000 (Australian) to spend on a new decent bass that will give good sound for Metal-Core and Hardcore music.

So...

Any suggestions on what Bass to buy?

Thanks!

-Element

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey element!

Six months and you already want to get a new bass? I can tell your quickly going to become a G.A.S-a-holic :D Im 16, ive been playing for a year and one month and ive got myself two basses, an Ibanez RD300 (my first) and my Washburn T24 Taurus. I dont know any basses that are actually made for metalcore. But seeing as you live in Brissy go and check out this store if you havnt already been there.

www.guitar.com.au

Very good shop, I live in Sydney and i ordered my first bass through them :) Just go in, have a play with some basses and see what feels right.

Welcome to the boards ;)

EDIT: If i had around $1000 id be rushing out to buy this! http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/bass/schecter/id=101.html

3. That Schector is a pretty popular item here in the states. I have come close to getting one several times, though I know that I would eventually sell it due to its neck being really thin. If you like the thin necks of Ibanez, then that Schector is a good buy.

From what I saw on that site, I would go with one of these for metal/hardcore:

http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/bass/musicman/sub.htm

Soon they will be collector's items. Its American made, not some Korean knockoff, and they sound great. They stopped production on these, so you'll have to get it fast.

4. i don't know about that :eyebrow: .

5. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Although the temptation is there to spend it all on a bass, it's probably a good idea to get an amp as well. If you start playing with a band then you're gonna need to be heard over the drums.

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1 on getting a bigger amp.

You'll need that first...what good is a new bass if you can't hear it over the drums?!? Especially in metal-core music! For a grand you can get used Ampeg stuff (4x10 and a B-2r head) Go used...you'll get the best bang for your buck (or whatever your Aussie currency is!

That Cort bass you have is pretty fine for now...maybe a pickup switcheroo if the pups are noisy and a pro setup with some good strings, but it should play fine until you really get going. As you get better at playing, you'll discover what you like/need more in a bass that will suit your style and the sound you like best. So, it's actually better to wait for a new bass till you learn what will suit you best.

But, if you need to know.... ESP LTD Basses are hot in that realm...Ibanez..Schecter..uh...Musicman stingrays and sterlings...Warwicks...Spector...shoot...pretty much anything would be fine...it's all in how you play it!

7. +1

If you can't get a Stingray grab one of these

And also consider buying a new amp

8. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Great beginners bass, no doubt about it. I just felt so at home when I played my RD300 after trying out lots of other beginner basses. Pictures dont do it justice, its a beautiful bass! But on the other hand, its lasted me a year and now I cant stand to play it. Reason being, I've got my Washburn T24 Taurus and the Ibanez just doesnt compare. It feels strange, a bit flimsy, and sounds horrible compared to my Washburn. If your looking for a bass thats gonna last you a couple of years I'd suggest going a little higher in the price range. As i said I've only been playing for a year, and i already cant stand to play it anymore. Its a beginners model, nothing more.

Just a heads up :D

EDIT: Oh and by the way, if you can spot an Ashdown Perfect 10 second hand, get it! I got mine 2nd hand for 300 bucks. Looks and sounds mint. :)

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Don't buy new.

Haunt the stores and play everything you can get your hands on to work out what you want then look around for something secondhand and you'll save a lot of money. If you're patient then you might pick up a bargain. Ebay is usually good from Xmas until mid/late Jan for bargains as people blew their budgets over the holidays and need to raise cash. I have about 50 items (incl a few basses) I won't even bother listing until Feb so I can get decent returns.

The guitar.com.au site is excellent for data and getting an idea of 'street' prices.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Production is stopped, they are American made. I just don't know about the collector statement.

11. Ok well I think I might just get a new Amp then...

I'm new to this so please try and bare with me =)

Should I get a combo amp like this...

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/bass/peavey/max115.htm

Or should I get a speaker cabinet with a head?

Thanks for all your help so far! This forum is rad!

12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Sorry to sound repetetive, but buy used.

Is this for practice or to gig with in the future?

13. I will be using it for small-medium gigs in the future. (2 months)

14. that's what i was referring to. they are decent basses but i don't know if they are different/special enough to garner collectibility when the bass it's based off of is already collectible. however, that may perhaps work to make them collectible...

personally though, i doubt they'll be anymore of a collector's item then and other discontinued bass.

15. SO yeah, should I get a combo or a stack?

16. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    you should probly take it to amps forum now

17. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Hey buddy, have you thought selling both of your basses and then one weekend go hunting like mad. I'm not sure how much you'll end up with but here in canada i think you'd just about get 500(maybe more maybe less) around for both basses.

yeah so do that and then youd be able to get a good bass and a good rig.