Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bass

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by bassboy_2003667, Jan 2, 2002.

1. thank you for taking my question.

I currently have a Squire P-Bass which is currently truning to junk. I am wanting to buy a new bass and I was think a Fender MIM jazz bass. My price range goes up to about $500. Is this a good choice? I play in a punk rock band. Any other suggestions?

Thankyou -Matt-

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

matt,

does "mim" mean "made in mexico," maybe? I've played some of these that felt really good. though $500 might be a little high. if it plays good for you and has some good tone, then go for it - don't just get a bass on sight, though - you gotta really check it out w/some serious playing and listening.

on bass, watt

3. You may want to keep an eye out for a used bass. I picked up an incredible 1975 Fender P-bass for $600 used online. You can do the Ebay thing, which is risky, or use GuitarBase's GuitarMall at http://www.gbase.com/ GB goes through a lot of dealers so you can purchase with a lot more confidence. I've found, over the years, that for most equipment, buying used is the way to go. It makes the old dollar go a lot further. Good luck.

4. watt

hi,

in my opinion it's pretty scary to buy a bass w/out playing it first - there's so many varibles w/each individual instrument. to be safe, make sure there's a return policy if it checks out lame for you.

on bass, watt

5. Yeah, but I checked out Altoona, KS on the old Mapquest, and it's about 3 miles past the end of the world. The gbase stuff works out pretty good. I bought a Les Paul off of there from a store in Denver and their return policy was incredibly liberal. Very classy guys, I wish I remembered their name. Anyway, in case I'm hit by an out of control panel truck or somethig else equally godawful, thanks for all the music, Mr. Watt.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I find too much variability between basses of the same model to allow purchasing a bass without playing it for several hours. That's just me. It helps weed out the potential lemons.

7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Whatever you do, do yourself a favor and play as many different basses in your price range that you can and don't settle for anything less than what you want. If you find a bass that you "love" that might be a little out of your price range it would be well worth it to nickle and dime it for a while and get what you truly want. Even though your P-bass may be turing to junk you still have a bass that you can play while you are saving for your new one. I know that it can be a pain when you really want to get a new bass but if you settle you'll only end up cheating yourself.

8. I have a "MIM" Jazz bass and am really happy with it.

I tried a few and compared the Mexican and American models and IMO the Mexican Jazz bass is worth the price I paid for it.

Some folks say the pickups and bridge are a less than great and I tend to agree somewhat but these are little things that you can change over time.

One piece of advice I have is to take your time when trying out instruments in a shop. Don't feel weird about the salesperson standing over your shoulder or the shredder in the corner playing everything you can't play (yet ;). It's an important decision and it deserves time and an open mind.

One thing to try that I plan on doing when I go to buy a new acousic this spring is to collect a few guitars in your price range then take them aside and have someone hand you differnent guitars from the group w/o looking at the name or model number on the headstock, just feel and listen.

Good luck!

9. I have a "MIM" Jazz bass and am really happy with it.

I tried a few and compared the Mexican and American models and IMO the Mexican Jazz bass is worth the price I paid for it.

Some folks say the pickups and bridge are a less than great and I tend to agree somewhat but these are little things that you can change over time.

One piece of advice I have is to take your time when trying out instruments in a shop. Don't feel weird about the salesperson standing over your shoulder or the shredder in the corner playing everything you can't play (yet ;). It's an important decision and it deserves time and an open mind.

One thing to try that I plan on doing when I go to buy a new acousic this spring is to collect a few guitars in your price range then take them aside and have someone hand you differnent guitars from the group w/o looking at the name or model number on the headstock, just feel and listen.

Good luck!

10. I have a "MIM" Jazz bass and am really happy with it.

Good luck!

11. Sorry for the multiple posts... my browser didn't refresh when I hit "submit".

12. watt

hi,

three times but still good advice: take your time to pick your machine.

on bass, watt