1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rjacobs, Feb 19, 2008.

1. This weekend, I sold a guitar and bought a bass.

My new bass is a Shen SB-180, which I purchased from Steve Swan.

I brought my mom, who lives in the area, along for a musically untrained and impartial second opinion, and to ask me things like "Why do you want a bass again?". Of all the basses I tried, she liked the Shen the best, as did I.

Here it is!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the guitar I sold (I ended up selling it to a friend, which made me happy):

DSC_0002.

After playing it for three days, I like the bass even more than I did in the shop. The setup is excellent, and I've now adjusted the bridge to right where I like it. It's got D'Addario Pizz strings on it. It's got nice sustain, more and cleaner trebles than the other basses I tried, and the sound is even across the strings. It's also VERY comfortable to play, much more than the Englehardt Supreme I rented a year ago.

(Backstory: I am a jazz saxophonist/pianist and acoustic guitarist. I showed up on talkbass a long time ago interested in learning bass, and decided to rent one for 9 months. The rental expired and I brought the bass back, and needed to spend money on more pressing things. This time around, I have more time to practice so I am committing myself!)

Hooray for a new bass! :D

p.s. If you want to help me name my bass, I have a thread going on my blog, or you can just tell me here.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Cool... glad you rented for awhile to make sure.

Nice looking guitar, looks good for fingerstyle.

3. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    Good exchange. I sold a motorbike to get my first bass

4. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Congrats!

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I got a new stereo once for my ex-wife.....................................................................

It's a joke, laugh already.

6. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Looks awesome! I've heard great things about Shen instruments. Violin corners are so nice, I kinda wish my bass had them... I'm not complaining though, I love my bass.