Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickwright, Mar 3, 2002.

1. nickwright

nickwright

Mar 3, 2002
    I've been learning bass on a fender squier and decided that i want to carry on and take it seriously. What do you reccomend? I have about £200 to spend. I want one that will last aswell, so tell me if I need to save up a bit more. Thanks.
    I have been thinking of an aria? Any good?

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I'm not exactly how much that is in US dollars,but if you trade in your squier an use your 200 you could probably get an MIM Fender j or p.There a step up from you squier.Alot of people reccomend them on here.Go to a store and test some basses out that are in you price range.

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    If you can try out different basses this will help in your decision. I cannot second the "Fender recommendation". People are just really familiar with them so they get alot of air time so to speak. I find the craftsmanship on them, (especially the cheaper ones), very disapointing and pedestrian. Also you can get a used instrument, that doesn't have good resale value at a real bargin. Yamaha is a good one. I am really not familiar with basses easily avialable in Europe. It won't be your last bass. Find one you like in your price range and play it as much as you can. Your needs, tastes, and wants as a bass player will probably change as you progress.

4. Jiimy

Jiimy

Mar 3, 2002
    Athens AL, USA
    i would highly recomend fender jazz basses, they have good tonal range and sound very clean

also look into some used stuff, such as conklin, you could probably get a nice used conklin

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I think he is going to have a hard time finding a used Conklin for under the $1000 range, unless it is a Groove Tools. Although they are also nice basses, I don't know how readily available they are going to be in Europe, especially used.

There are a lot more options out there. Go to a few music stores and start playing basses. Play everything in your price range. See which one(s) feel and sound the best to you. This is one of the most fun aspects of buying a bass--spending time on different instruments, and figuring out which one does what you want/need it too.

6. I would personally save up a bit more. If I am not mistaken, 200 pounds is about $300US. I would also look at European brands as you will likely be able to find something better for less than you would pay for an American brand.

Check out: http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/default.htm

Geoff

7. nickwright

nickwright

Mar 3, 2002
    Thanks for the response.
    How do i play different basses? I was gonna order online and there isn't a decent music shop near me...
    If anyones got any free time can they go to www.actionmusic.co.uk and tell which are decent basses, good clean sound, suitable to play in a band and made out of a material that doesn't chip or dent easily...
    Much Appreciated

8. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    That YAMAHA RBX270 is a nice looking bass in your price range. Yamahas tend to have consistently good quality.

9. hey nick, Ill sell you my fender MIM P bass. super clean, and sounds great. 250 plus shipping. just a thought.

10. cone

cone Guest

Oct 13, 2001
    Georgia
    in my opinion (which doesnt matter), i would buy according to what music you are mostly gonna play. i started playin on a pawn shop yamaha and i loved it, but when i went for a step above it i played everything and i was stuck between a used custom ibanez btb 5 string Special edition (around 1250$ new) and a fender american p bass (about 900$) and i chose the fender even though the ibanez was a way better bass, (the fender was better for punk)

11. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I just went to the site you linked and see Yamahas are available there. It would be hard to beat a Yamaha in the that price range. It is one of the best buys in IMO. Definatly better than Fender IMO. You really should try to get to a city with a large music store so you can try different basses. Mail order prices are great and it is convenient, but it leaves out the most important issues in purchasing musical instruments, the sound and feel of the instrument. Good luck.

12. Hmm, with £200, you gonna be lucky to get a MIM Fender of any variety. I would have to back up those who said Yamaha. They make great basses, and build quality in my experience has been top notch from the cheap RBXs and BBs up to the high end models

sim

13. nickwright

nickwright

Mar 3, 2002
    Does anyone know anything about the ARIA MAB 09FL BASS GUITAR. Its on actionmusic.co.uk, i like the look of it and its in my price range but i dunno.
    I will try to get into some music shops soon...

You guys are great. Most Msg boards i go on don't help anyone so thanks.

Also does anyone know a place to request tabs or anyone feeling like tabbing a couple of songs?