new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mejor, Apr 13, 2002.

1. mejor

Aug 21, 2000
    Hi i would like to ask you an advice. I want to buy a new bass, a 5 string. i was oriented to a Fender jazz but i've heard 5 strings are not good as 4 ones. My second coiche is a warwick corvette standard. I play almost all from ska to hard rock to jazz.
    I ask your help also if you have something else to purpose.
    thank you.
  2. Mr. Major,

Just how can a 5 be described as "not as good" as a 4? Don't get me wrong here - I play 4's exclusively - but a statement like that by whoever you heard it from shows a distinct ignorance of anything involving basses. First, it's a purely subjective analysis for the player and no two players are alike. Second, a 5'er has all of the range of a 4 with some additional. How does that stack up to bad?? Third, any bass model that comes in 4 and 5 string versions will have the same hardware and electronic components, albeit larger (pickups) or more of 'em (tuners).

Just go out there and play all of 'em until you find your soul mate.
  3. Well I owned an MIA Jazz Deluxe V, and here is my opinion on it. The electronics, construction and playability are good. There are however two things that I didn't like about it. One is the neck shape and the other is the B string. I found that the neck was too round and fat. The B, I found did not have a very clear sound like the other strings, it sounded very different.

Don't get me wrong though, for the money I think it is a good bass.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hambone, I think he was referring to Fender fivers, which are notorious for having a weak low b.
  5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i highly recommend the Lakland Skylines- theyll blow your mind- take at look around my site and see a few-
    wether you may buy one from me or not- they are awesome!!- peace and good luck!- Adrian
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    According to your description, I think a Lakland Skyline would fit just fine.
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    yeah!! check out Luis slapping that thang on his thread! thats the 55-02 - the 55-01 is awesome as well- much less expensive and some people like it better than the -02 and the 55-94 ( check out Brad Johnsons opinion of that..) i happen to really dig the MM/J setup myself.
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah hearing Luis' Samples makes me wanna grab a skyline. They really rock. great sound. I may get one eventually.. ;)
  9. [wizard of Oz voice on]

"Well, why didn't he say sooo??"

[voice off]

That, I would agree to from my limited experience with the Fender 5's.
  10. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    As far as the Fenders go, the one big thing I noticed was that the stock B-strings are very thick at the tuners, causing them to not be lined up with the groove in the nut. When I replaced the strings on my MIM Active Deluxe Jazz V, I found that D'Addarios, GHS Boomers, and many other varieties of strings that have an earlier taper at the tuner peg will line up better and give a better sound.

That said, if you're looking for a primary bass in the price range of the MIM Fenders, it would be hard to go wrong with the Skylines. I've got a 55-02, and other than adjusting to the 35" scale, I'm having a blast with it.

Good luck.
  11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    About the 35" Scale.

I believe the scale issue of adjusting to it is just a Myth, I have very small hands, and the 35" scale just passed unnoticed on the Skyline. After all, its only about 5mm more of distance now between the nut and the 1st fret!

Even with small hands 35" scale is fine.

35" Scale should be a standard.

What I dont know, is why my Warwick Streamer has a B string a little more tight despite being 34" Scale. Definitely it comes down to neck wood and construction
  12. I agree with Adrian. Try a Lakland skyline. They are awesome.
  13. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    The adjustment for me to the 35" scale may actually have more to do with the fact that the string spacing is wider on the Lakland than it is on the Jazz. I have rather large hands, so getting to the frets isn't the problem. It's usually a problem only when playing something fast where I'm going up a couple of strings and moving 3-4 frets forward or back at the same time. As I've been playing the Lakland much more than the Jazz lately, I'm finding it to be a much "faster" bass than the Jazz, since the action is low and, well, perfect. It's hard to go wrong with a Skyline.
  14. Check out the Yamaha BB605!

Solid Alder body, active electronics, BUILT-IN NE-1 preamp!!!!

Absolutely amazing bass for $399 at Musicians Friend