New Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Apr 16, 2002.

1. I love being able to start threads like these.

Earlier today I made a quick trip to San Francisco (sorry SF TBers, I was only in town for 30 min.) and came home with a new bass I won from eBay.

it's a Fender clone, a brand name I never heard of before, Cahuenga. An internet search led me no where. But for only $55 and 2 hours of my life, I'm very satisfied.

As you can tell from the pic, it's a P bass, sunburst finish. The headstock and the back of the neck are also finished in sunburst, which I found odd. It's actually pretty old, and has the vintage feel to it. I'm guessing it is from the late 70's or early 80's. I can't find a serial number anywhere on the body, and I haven't taken the neck off yet to check there.

The tone is monstrous! I plugged it in after bypassing the pots, which need replacing, and WOW! It sounds phenomenal. Very thunderous tone! Why this guy was letting it go for $55, when all it needs is an hour of work is beyond me.

This is the pic I stole from eBay, I'll get better pics of it later on.
  2. looks nice.. pop some barts + allobass preamp in it and it should kick some huge, hairy butt
  3. Congratulations on your new axe!

Don't put in Barts! I had a similar experience to yours, put in barts, and they ruined the sound.
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Is it normal size or is it just the angle of the camera? Looks like a very noce bass man! Enjoy it!
  5. Congrats. I'd say leave it stock to preserve its unique tone.

Mike J.
  6. Congrats on the nice lookin bass.
  7. I'm gonna leave the pick ups in it. I just need them rewired. I was messin with it last night and found the wires were corroded. No wonder there was a buzz, it wasn't even grounded!

It's actually bigger than my other P bass. 34" scale with a zero fret. The body is huge! and it wieghs a ton. My Squier wieghs right around 8 pounds, but this wieghs closer to 12 or more.

The only change I had to make was the position of the strap button. It was on theback of the neck, just above the joint. It cause really bad neck dive. I drilled a hole and replaced it on the upper horn.

The only plans I have for this bass is a rewire, tortoise shell pick guard, and some vintage bridge and pick up covers.

Edit: I took the neck off, but there is no stamp. :( so it's age remains a mystery. There is a sticker on the back of the headstock, that reads "CPB-S" which means nothing to me. Probably the only person that knows anything about it is someone who works for this (probably defunct) company.

There are a few dings, some near the bridge fropm the strings, and one on the front of the body. I'm gonna leave them though, it adds character to it. :cool:. Now all I need to do is try to rewire it, or take it somewhere to have it rewired. Any Suggestions on where I could take it?