New Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zon Bass, May 12, 2002.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    By the end of the summer, I should have about 3000 dollars. I will be getting a 400+, but that will still leave about 1600 dollars for a new bass. I know that I don't want a 5 string because I already have a 6. I was thinking either a Ric 4003, or a Stingray w/ 3 band Eq and piezo. I want something with a good clean tone that can be used for classical, but can also be used for things like Vai, Satriani, Rush, Stu Hamm, Progressive stuff, Maiden, and everything in between. I don't really care about the slap tone, but it must be very tappable.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Have you considered your namesake?;)

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I already have one, and so I am looking for a little tonal variation

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'd guess the simplest thing would be to get a Ric or MM. Zon Sonus basses do have tonal variety but would be out of your price range.

I'd look at a Fender FMT 4, Peavey Cirrus, Lakland Skyline, the coming new MTD in addition to what you've mentioned.

Used for the same money you could get a Lull, Elrick, Alembic, Pedulla, US Lakland, Zon Legacy or Sonus Custom, Dingwall, etc. Heck, I just got an F Bass for $1600.

[​IMG]

$1600:D

5. try looking for a roscoe bass, it would have to be used but they are fantastic basses, just try one out, i guarentee you won't be disappointed

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

There is a Dingwall on ebay for $1500. It has been up for a few weeks and hasn't received a single bid. Other than the finish it is identical to my bass, and I can assure you that they are excellent basses, I'm sure there are others who can vouch for this as well. $1500 would be a great price to get it at too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=868539653

Geoff

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well it's not really $1500 - who knows how much it is, with a reserve?

I'll toot the Hanewinckel horn once again. My 6 has a very sweet tone but will also do pretty well at heavy rock. Not as many of them around used, but you could probably get what you want (Artist 4 bolt-on, MM+J pickups? Alder body, flamed maple top, bubinga fretboard) for just over $2k new.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    MMM That F bass is sweet.. However, if you dig the ray, you could get one and have some money left over ;).... That dingwal is nice too. But who knows what the reserve is