Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zon Bass, May 12, 2002.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    By the end of the summer, I should have about 3000 dollars. I will be getting a 400+, but that will still leave about 1600 dollars for a new bass. I know that I don't want a 5 string because I already have a 6. I was thinking either a Ric 4003, or a Stingray w/ 3 band Eq and piezo. I want something with a good clean tone that can be used for classical, but can also be used for things like Vai, Satriani, Rush, Stu Hamm, Progressive stuff, Maiden, and everything in between. I don't really care about the slap tone, but it must be very tappable.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Have you considered your namesake?;)

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I already have one, and so I am looking for a little tonal variation

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd guess the simplest thing would be to get a Ric or MM. Zon Sonus basses do have tonal variety but would be out of your price range.

I'd look at a Fender FMT 4, Peavey Cirrus, Lakland Skyline, the coming new MTD in addition to what you've mentioned.

Used for the same money you could get a Lull, Elrick, Alembic, Pedulla, US Lakland, Zon Legacy or Sonus Custom, Dingwall, etc. Heck, I just got an F Bass for $1600.

[​IMG]

$1600:D

5. try looking for a roscoe bass, it would have to be used but they are fantastic basses, just try one out, i guarentee you won't be disappointed

6. There is a Dingwall on ebay for $1500. It has been up for a few weeks and hasn't received a single bid. Other than the finish it is identical to my bass, and I can assure you that they are excellent basses, I'm sure there are others who can vouch for this as well. $1500 would be a great price to get it at too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=868539653

Geoff

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well it's not really $1500 - who knows how much it is, with a reserve?

I'll toot the Hanewinckel horn once again. My 6 has a very sweet tone but will also do pretty well at heavy rock. Not as many of them around used, but you could probably get what you want (Artist 4 bolt-on, MM+J pickups? Alder body, flamed maple top, bubinga fretboard) for just over $2k new.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    MMM That F bass is sweet.. However, if you dig the ray, you could get one and have some money left over ;).... That dingwal is nice too. But who knows what the reserve is