Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chiliwilli, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Hey I own a yamaha standard p-bass thats about $25 at your local guitar center. I have never made a big purchase towards my bass guitar, yet i have a nice swr combo amplifier, and i get to fool around with my friends pedals. Though, by the end of the summer, i'm getting a new bass with summer job money and parents help.

Sorry, i slipped and sent the thread too early

But, i like the music man stingray, for its feel and tone, but, the stingray feels a bit cliche. This basically feels like i'm getting my first bass as my yamaha was a handmedown. I can play 5 string, but i feel 4 strings is all you need. I also want active pickups. I'm in a jam band that experiements with a lot of different music, and i feel like i'll need something versitile, i guess? What should i look out for? any different brands i should consider? i'd appreciate any input!

:D

2. don't refuse to buy an instrument because everyone else plays it. on the other hand, don't buy it for the same reason.

buy whatever feels best for you and can get the most (all, if possible) sounds you want out of it.

i want to be the first to say it..........
    go out and play every bass you can B+)

then you know what's available, and you can start comparing basses. you can even bring your own amp into the stores and find out exactly what it will sound like when you get it home.

3. If you like the Stingray feel, but want more versatility, why not look into the Sterling? It has a slimmer neck than the Ray, and the pick up positionand three way selector make it a much more versatile instrument. You can get the growly tone of a jazz bass, and get some pretty good punch, too.

I feel that the Sterling is one of the best production basses on the market in its price range.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i would go for a MIA jazz
    or a czech spector!
    and with the jazz put in a J-Retro! man it will be smokin!!!!!

steve

5. man go for a warwick or a fender american deluxe jazz. to of the most versatile tones on the world. they can do anything. i know what you mean about the musicman too. but they are amazing guitars

6. Musicman Sterling
    Reverend Rumblefish XL
    G&L L-2000
    Czech Spector if you can afford it

Just a few ideas.:)