Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philwill1, Jul 19, 2002.

1. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    Hey guys
    now that I've been playing for about 8 months i'm ready to move up from my rogue 200lx. I am trying to decide whether to stay with four strings or move up to five. I have been looking at a fender jazz, (don't know where it was made) bass-4 string, a peavey fury 4 quilt top (active), or a peavey foundation 2000 5 string. I play gospel in a small group (bass, guitar, drum) and I play at church. (2 guitars, bass, drums, congas, hammond b3, keyboard) Does anybody have any suggestions on which one to choose.

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hello,
    I think the advice I can give you (and the one you´ll be "hearing" from many TBer´s) is: Try them the most you can, and compare them in sound, playability, weigth, look etc etc etc...... at last, your hands, ears and back will tell. ;)

3. electric_cowboy

electric_cowboy

Jul 19, 2002
    I'm a fender jazz guy myself, but those peavey basses i find are REALLY nice for the money. i almost considered buying one. I'd get the peavey over a MIM Jazz myself...

4. regarding your 4 Vs 5 question, you have to way up the pro's and con's......why do you want a 5, why and how will you implemtent it into your playing?
    some people have absolutly no use for a low B.
    If you choose to go with a 5'er, you'v kinda gotta start again, get a fairly cheap 5 to make sure you realy wanna play a 5, then wen you' got the technique down etc get a better 5.
    However if you wanna stick with 4's my advice is to go out a play as many different makes as possible
    eg :
    Yamaha's
    Ibanez (BTB's)
    Bass Collection
    MIM fenders
    Peavey's

its late, i can't think of any others
    :oops:

*Si*

5. I would stay away from Peavey unless you are going to spend over $600. I just don't think that a Peavey will give you the kind of tone and quality of a Fender Jazz bass. The same goes for the others. I'd stick to Fender.:cool:

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Of the basses that you mentioned, I would look closely at the Fender and the Foundation 2000.

I play in church too. A lot of the music is written in Eb and F. I find a 5 string invaluable for playing in those keys.

I can play the Eb and C in a lower range, and I can play in F on the B string, 6th fret instead of the E string 1st fret. Being able to do two octave runs without shifting your fretting hand is another great thing about a 5(or 6 or more) string.

7. I completely disagree, a peavey will not be able to compete with the Fender Jazz, especially if they are the same price.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know, the Cirrus and Millenium series compete pretty well with the American Deluxe Series. I like the Peaveys better, except for the FMT Jazz.

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    If you can make the switch, you can get real gospely with a 5. I would not shy away from the Peavey if it sounds good. Some of the forerunners of the Cirrus and Millenium lines have the same components. If you are trying to find a home for your money now that the stock market is down and you are investment conscious, stay with the Jazz if it's American. However, I don't see a good Fender 5 until you get into big bucks. An affordable 5 with great feel and sound would be the MTD Kingston.

10. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    Thanks for the help guys
    I would really love to be able to try out some other basses. but I live in a rural area and selection here is very limited ( basicly peavey,fender, two alvarezs, and a couple of Ibanezs) I have to drive at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours to get to a good store with variety in either St.Louis, Memphis, or Nashville. So I have to have some other reason to visit these places other than just going to sample some sounds on the bass-you know wife just doesn't understand. Anyhow the advice you gave was great and I will continue my search for at least another couple of weeks-although i am chomping at the bit for a better bass. When I was in St.Louis for the 4th of July I went to Mars Music,Guitar Center and Mcmurray Music and just got blown away with the selection and the great sounds. Now I'm dieing to get my hands on a great sounding bass.