New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dirk, Sep 20, 2002.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I've come to the decision that I really want to continue playing upright, but I have to do something about the cheap chinese crap I'm playing on now. I want to buy a new bass but I'm not sure which way to go. I'm sure Bob will be happy to hear my options. A)Belgium Carved bass, B)Englehardt top line model or C)Eminence EUB. I play mostly jazz, but I'm sure some bowing technique will be incorporated into my learning somehow, so that takes the Eminence out. Now I have to choose between the Englehardt and the carved bass. What should I do?

2. Chris? We're waiting...
  3. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I take it by "Belgium" you are referring to one of Bob's Bulgarian basses...? Bob's one of the few people I'd buy a bass from unseen and untried, based on my dealings with him.

One practical consideration is this: Will you be able to keep that nice carved top instrument in a reasonably temperature and humidity stable environment? You don't want the bass to dry out and start splitting when the heat comes on and the humidity drops to 10% in your house in the winter. If you're going to be dragging it around to clubs and maybe leaving it overnight in places you might want to think about plywood for purely practical reasons.

But before buying any bass I'd look around locally, for one big reason: If you own a bass you're eventually going to have a close relationship with a local luthier ;-)
  4. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well, the humidity is an issue, but to the other extreme. I live in louisiana and it's never 10% humidity even in the winter, but in the summer there can be almost 100% humidity at times. This tends to make the wood swell, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know how this affects my decision of basses. Right now I'm just going to back off and make a decision later. I may get an adjustable bridge and some other things to improve my cheap chinese box.

5. I bought an Engelhardt Swingmaster from Bob a few months ago. Bob is an excellent guy to deal with and will really work with you.

I took the bass to a shop in Nashville for a professional setup and just got it back. As far as I am concerned--it is awesome! I would highly recommend a Englehardt to anyone.

Good luck,
  6. dark:
    In terms of damage potential, the far greater threat is dryness, not humidity. Dry wood will spontaneously split. The effects of humidity are largely aesthetic - sound quality, not damage to the wood.