New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maxoges, Mar 24, 2003.

1. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm about to sell my Höfner beatlebass. I've decided to get a J-bass. I will get $600 for the höfner. I've looked at a Mexico made J-bass for $500.
    The Höfner is a 1972 model. It has active electronics and black cavity cover.
    Do you think the mexican Fender is worth it? The Geddy Lee model is $1000 here. Is the difference worth $500?

The swedish sales tax is 25% that's why the prices are so high.
  2. Whoa!?!?! You're only getting $500 for the Hofner? Is that US $, or something else? A used Hofner Beatle bass should be worth a lot more than that. I wouldn't sell it until you get it appraised.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just my experience - try as many Mexican Fenders as you can. They all aren't created equal. But I used one as a back-up bass in addition to a `71 Fender that was also a back-up. The Mexican beat the `71 hands-down, mostly in playability.

I stay away from signature basses. To me, the extra price is largely marketing hype.
  4. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

$500 for a Mexican Jazz Bass? that's a little too high, but if that's the best price you can get, well go for it, look for used basses in your area maybe you'll find a better and cheaper bass, BTW $600 for a real beatle bass is a steal, i'd buy it;)
  5. Yeah, I'd pay $600 for a Hofner Beatle bass too, but the seller would be getting ripped off. ;)
  6. I agree, but the geddy lee bass is and exception, in my opinion. I've heard a lot of players comment on it's sound and playability, so I tried one and was impressed enough that i bought one, plus I love the way it looks. Like I said it's my opinion, and the extra price was worth it.
  7. I agree about the Geddy Jazz bass. I've tried them, and it is currently on my wish list.
  8. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i own a mex j/bass and its decent,if i were you i would go with a used japanese j/bass they are alot better than the mex's,the wood quality is better and the electronics are superior,all the GEDDY LEE J/BASS is a new japanese fender,its an awesome bass ,i've played a few and all of them were nice!i am am partial to fender japan,i own a one of each and bassed my opinion on my standards, this is my opinion only,do some research and play a few japan models and you see and feel the difference!:bassist:
  9. Actually, it isn't. Seems like a standard price, or even on the bargain side, for a MIM Jazz. We're, after all, talking about Sweden here. ;)
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've heard a lot of great things about the Geddy Lee Jazz. But, an interview with him a couple of years back showed that he doesn't even like 'em as much as his original.
  11. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I just checked the prices on Musicianfriends, and others, i found MIM Jazz Basses for $299.99 brand new, i went to guitar center last saturday and i saw a MIM (Midnight red) 5 strings Jazz Bass new for $325, if he paid an extra 25% for sales tax that's a extra $75 so he shouln'd pay more than $400 for a new bass even if he's in Sweden, on the other hand i saw 2 beatle basses going for over $1000, i'm with gezeer316 get a japanese it's way better i would recomend a Marcus Miller Jazz Bass, they go for as little as $500-$600 on ebay some times, i just got one and i love it;)
  12. Still, those are American prices to which one would have to add shipping, insurance, and customs. I don't know how much that would set you back at, but let's say about $100, at least. Suddenly, the equivalent of 500 (hassle free) dollars in a Swedish shop seems like an okay deal, doesn't it? ;)
    Still, I agree with you about buying a japanese Fender instead - even new and shipped from the land of the rising sun. Japanese Fenders are indeed killer basses.
  13. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There are lots of used Fenders going around in Sweden. Try, or even, and you'll get much better deals than that.
  14. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I got my Mexican Jazz for about $350 new. Since these basses dominate the Sam Ashes of the world, I agree with following quote. Play all of them until one melts into your hands!