Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jimmy Blue, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    Hi All,

After a 25 year hiatus I got the bug and bought this Bass. Any Idea what it is?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    Here's a couple more Pics, had problems attaching

3. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    One More,

Inside is a sticker that says Made in West Germany. (In English) So I guess it was made after WWI.

4. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    Hi all,

I did not mean to blurt out hey whats this. I had perpared an introduction but was unable to attach some pitcures to it and lost it. Some pics appear to be to large to attach. I played String Bass for a couple of years in college 74 - 75'. After school the EM-1 was sold and the Fender went into the closet. Fast forward 23 years and Dad is playing electric in a geezer band and has the itch for an upright. I found this one locally, the seller says it is a Wilfer, the shop that sold it to the seller says it is a Semmlinger? The original shop owner has past on. I can not substantiate either. It appears that Wilers are carved, this one is plywood and Semmlinger appears to be a Cello shop. Any Ideas?

You guys have a great forum, I've aquired a ton of info and knowledge.

Thanks,

Jim

5. I think the P is for phillips violin shop who adjusted it in '74.

6. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    That's right Milothucis, The P is for Phillips Violin in Lake Worth, FL. Appearently they sold the Bass to my seller in 94' Mr Phillips died last year, his wife said that she thought the bass was a Semmlinger. But from what I can tell, Semmlinger only makes cellos. Celli? What ever.

Jim

7. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
  8. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Jimmy,
    Any chance of seeing some more pics, let's say a side view of the scroll, the top, the whole bass from a front/side angle? I'm intrigued by the mystery.

9. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    Hi John,

I'll try and post a couple of more pictures. Prior attempts failed because the file was too big?

10. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
  11. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply and info on the Bass. Your 5-(oh the GAS!) stringers sure do look nice.

I'll take on more shot at some additional pictures.

12. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    I think I'm on to somthing here !

13. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
  14. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    The Scroll, thanks Ed.

15. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Here's a brighter copy of that scroll for ya, courtesy of Photoshop. ;)

I think Ken nailed it though, he's an ace at that kind of thing.