new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Seb Stables, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Seb Stables

Seb Stables Guest

Jun 3, 2003
    North wales
    I'm looking for a new bass, I play metal and rock with my band. I have a maximum of about $450 to spend- what would you guys advise? I was thinking maybe ESP or BC Rich.
  2. I'd go for a MIJ Fender jazz.
  3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    id say go with the ESP. it is a more nutral bass (depending on the design you get) if you get a BC rich, and then realize later you hate metal and fall in love with a completley new style of music you would look very stupid playing anything except metal on a BC rich.
    I was in this situation, i chose to give up metal, not i'm all over jazz fusion funk. big change, but i am happier, and i din't look stupid cuz i'm not playing it with a warlock or something. :meh: so that would be what id do. get a "tame bass" in case you have an unexpected change of lifestyle.
  4. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    ESP, Ibanez, Carvin, or Peavey,

but not...

B.C. Rich. I will never understand the facination with these things. My friend has 3 B.C. guitars and I just can't understand why...too pointy!!!
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    If you get the B.C. rich, you can know you will always be safe if you are attacked by a disgruntled audience member... shove the thing in his eye.
  6. I would defintely reccommend a BC Rich Beast, if you are sure metal and rock are your main focus (trying playing some jazz or blues with'll look stupid!). I played the Beast a few months ago and was pleasantly suprised with the build quality, good neck, and nice sound I got from the 2 P pickups. If you like the shape of them, doesn't listen to anybody who doesn't like them simply because they are pointy. But keep in mind that the shape might eventually get annoying, as the shape is somewhat cumbersome. I have a Dean guitar that is V shaped plus a front horn, and, even though I love the look of it,it annoys the hell out of me because I keeping bumping things.
    If you want a more conventional looking (and IMHO better overall) bass, I would reccommend a used Spector, particularily a used NS2000 or Rex Brown. I have a Rex (jet black of course) and I love the way it looks awesome for metal, while not looking so outrageous that I would look stupid using it for jazz.
  7. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    a used american or new japanese P-BASS will fit your needs,they are reliable and versitile and have been the choice of bassists since 1951(sounds like a commercial HUH ?)you cant go wrong with a p-bass, its powerful and straight to the point:bassist:
  8. Geezer316: LOL!! Do you work in advertising?!:D ;)
  9. Yes, a P-bass would be a great option.

I would stay away from Ibanez.

Have fun

10. Seb Stables

Seb Stables Guest

Jun 3, 2003
    North wales
    Cheers guys, taken your comments into account. There is something about P-bass that I dont like and that is the pickups, not so much the pickups but there are screws at the top of the pickups and I put my finger there for playing . but thats not too much hassle, I think I will get an ESP though becasue I have seen some good deals and becasue I have actually heard them and they sound pretty good quality.