1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LennyPenny, Mar 12, 2013.

1. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    I thought I'd share a picture of me with my new bass. It's a Maruszczyk Jake custom. I sold my Squier VM P-bass a while back but I couldn't get quite the same sound out of my later acquisitions (Squier VM Jazz and ESP LTD B-206). I wanted a more vintage looking and feeling 6-string, since every other 6-string I've ever seen looks too modern/boutique, hence this handsome beast. I was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to get a proper P-bass sound out of it because of the extra strings and the fact that it's not an actual P-bass, but it's sounds very convincing imho.

chambered alder body w/ ash top
    Bassculture pickups (passive)
    maple neck (can't tell if it's one piece or not)
    rosewood fingerboard
    21 fret
    Hipshot ultra-lite tuners
    all-passive electronics: vol/balance/tone with push/pull to split the humbucker

LENNARTNEWBASS.

Hope you enjoy, and if not then so be it.

2. Congrats on a very cool looking bass. I love the red with the black guard. The contrasting grain in the bass gives it a really nice vibe. :)

3. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Cool! I've never seen a 6-string P before.

4. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    Thanks, I think so too. The color is based on my Epiphone SG faded cherry (guitar). I couldn't decide upon a color, it was either this, daphne blue with brown tortoise or white with black or brown tortoise. All other options didn't seem like colors that would look as good with a matte finish as they do with gloss, so I opted for this. I always thought the red and black with visible grain on my SG looked great, and I prefer the smoothness of a matte finish.

5. Dang, That thing is sweet. Love the red with the grain.

6. That is amazing looking bass. I bet it sounds great too!

7. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    The novelty factor is an added bonus I have to admit ;)

For those interested: it set me back €1290. Considering the fact that I was free to choose the basic components and materials (woods, pickup configuration, inlays or lack thereof, electronics, tuners,...), I think you'll agree it's quite a bargain. The only times the luthier made any decisions were when I didn't know what I wanted or when I asked for his advice.

8. nlaird

nlaird

Mar 7, 2013
    I love seeing the grain of the wood. Once I got my first guitar like this, all my future guitars had to be this way. Even further, I love natural oil finish. I like to feel and see the wood, makes it seem more alive and organic, etc. Lacquer and paint just feel like plastic to me after feeling raw wood. Beautiful!

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Nice looking bass, How does it sound?

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Nice touch with the photoshopping. Turning everything else to greyscale really makes it pop out of the screen. :cool:

11. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    ^^
    What he said...cool bass, cool photoshop.

12. Draculea

Draculea

Oct 2, 2011
    Mexico City
    Nice bass, now I'm GASing.........!

13. I LOVE that color. Awesome bass.

--Silvie

14. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Very Nice!

Congrats!! :bassist:

15. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    I think so too. I love the sheen when there's light shining on it and I think it's more comfortable because my forearm doesn't stick to it all the time. Imho most colors look better with gloss but for anything see-through (except maybe flames and quilts) I prefer matte.

Very full and deep, even with the balance all the way to the bridge. With my LTD B-206 I always had to dial in quite a bit of bass, either on the on-board EQ or on my amp. This one sounds very bass-heavy with everything flat and the tone all the way up. I assume it's the alder in the body. I'll try to remember to post a link to my band's Soundcloud when we've made a recording with this bass on it.

That's thanks to my gf, I know diddly squat about photoshop or anything related (except MS Paint :p ).

16. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    One of the most beautiful basses I've ever seen, your goal;)

Cheers,
    Wallace

17. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    Thank you, that's very kind of you to say.

18. hip63

hip63

Sep 14, 2010
    dang! that's pur-ty!

enjoy!

hip63 :p

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've not heard of that brand, but, I'm not from Belgium either!
    It looks fantastic!

20. Congratulations! That is a fantastic looking instrument, and that's coming from someone who is afraid of red basses.

But I have to ask- what is the scale length? It appears to be shorter than the average sixer, but as I get older I see things funny.

If you tell me it's less than. 34", I may need to start saving up.

Congrats again!

Edit: If it's a 35" or above, can you dunk a basketball?