Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Aug 19, 2003.

1. I just bought a bass a couple days ago from Gary Upton's shop in Conneticut. It's one of the UB basses made in Poland that are made exculsively for Gary. The one I purchased is a 3/4 scale hybrid, (carved spruce top, laminated back and sides). It has a very loud, clear sound. It's not particulary "woofy" but there's still plenty of warmth. It's a huge improvement over the little Juzek I had. I'll post pictures as soon as I get the chance.

The other bass that I was considering was another "Upton" that was fully carved, looked much nicer, and had a very large body that had a unique shape. It was also a flatback. Although it sounded great as well, I didn't like it quite as much, and it was $1,000 more. It had a bigger, warmer tone, but it lacked a little in high end, and the sustain wasn't as good.

He also had an American Standard from 1950 that had a 43 in. scale length. The sound on that was definately closer to the carved flatback. I liked it, but it was selling for too much money, because it was on concinement.

I also got to try Gary's prototype pickup that he said will be out by December (I think), which is essentially two pickups that can be blended. One of the pickups is based on the Realist and the other is based on an Underwood. I was really impressed with it, and the price is going to be reasonable too.

Gary is a great guy, and if you live anywhere near Conneticut, you should check out his store.

2. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Jacob,
    Did you play the laminated model they sell for $1,400 by chance? If so, I am curious about what you though of the sound. It is more in the price range I am trying to hit.

Thanks . . . Jim Watkins

3. I did try the laminated model. It was a little bigger in the upper portion of the body, but otherwise looked very similar. It's a nice bass, but I didn't consider it for long, because I thought the hybrid sounded much better, and was easily worth the extra grand. Overall, the character of the two basses were very similar. Both had a nice strong low end, but the hybrid had a much more complex sound. The biggest difference was in the high end. The hybrid was brighter, (without losing any warmth) and perhaps a bit louder.

I didn't really have another bass of similar price to compare the laminated UB to, but I liked it quite a bit. It's just that the hybrid (I thought) sounded better.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Congrats on your new axe! Thats a great feeling.

5. Alright, here are some pictures.

6. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Man, you're digging up posts that are 3 years old...no wonder pics are gone!

Wow...reading those posts...SO much has changed...wow.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    He dug 'em up so Arnold could read the word "headstock" one more time.

8. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Yes...too bad he didn't tell of the superb "ACTION" we set it up at!