New bassist......and a girl

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kiwicone, Jun 10, 2002.

1. kiwicone

Jun 10, 2002
    Okay. I'm very new to bass. I'm actually expecting my first (a Kramer Focus for $100) tomarrow. Yes, I'm starting a band, but everyone's telling me two things:

1.) you can't be in a punk/rock band 'cause your a GIRL and,
    2.) if you could be in a band your supposed to sing and play lead guitar, not bass!

I hate this town. Anyone's thoughts? I'm not quitting because of either of those reasons!
  2. Ignore them!
    Look at Kittie...all girl band and one of the most phenomonal live bands I've seen in quite a while!
    What age are you? I get a lot of flak for being a 13 year old bassist with an Ibanez BTB and well over €2k of rig...but I ignore all the 'you should be the singer' stuff. Go where your heart takes you.
    PM/email me if you need any help!

3. Screw them. You are gonna be in a band, they arent. Oh, and if they say you cant play bass, learn ONE slap routine and any non-musician friends will think you are the King/Queen/Whatever of bass, trust me.

Some of the best punk rock bands out there have girls in them, what about Sleater-Kinney? Bikini Kill? Selby Tigers! I sure as hell am NOT going to tell the girls in Tribe 8 they can't play punk rock!!

And what's wrong with leading a band with bass? what about NOFX, Thin Lizzy and Dillinger Four (okay, not really led, but still). Just remember that no one got anywhere listening to what the couldn't do.

Also, avoid bashing people's head in with your bass, try using their own guitars.
  5. kiwicone

Jun 10, 2002
    I'm not the only one either. My whole band gets it. The drummer, Blu, actually brings her sticks to school to bash in anyone's head who says she can't play.....dear GOD she can! You can't really tell her role model is Stevo32 from Sum 41.

It's gonna be funny....when this next year starts, i'm bringing my bass in to play in the band class (better than p.e.!) and just let those girls who play teh freakin' CLARINET see....I just love revenge.

Oh, and I ALSO get **** because I wanna follow the footsteps of Cone (sum 41) and mike dirnt (green day). Notice how I said it's ****.
  6. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Go ahead!! play bass, be in a band. Don't worry what other people say about you. BEsides, there are tons of female bass players. And tons of girls that don't sing and play lead guitar.

HAve fun,
  7. Mike Dirnt is a great bassist. When I first started, I learned all of Green Day's songs, and I have to say I'm a little better off for it. Mike has great technique, and every time I've ever seen them play, I never hear a wrong note.

And on topic...

Who cares what other people say, just do what you want to do and play what you want to play, as long as you like doing it.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hello kiwicone dont pay them any mind,over the years I have had two women play bass with me in my bands we played at the same of the bass players was Regina Gilbert a very talented,versatile and solid bassist, she mainly plays a 5 string.she has a very good ear and caught on very fast she is one of my favorite bassist.the other bassist is Amanda Mierderk who now studies with Carole Kaye.Amanda also a very talented bassist.she as well having a keen understanding of the bass players function. I give her great respect as well for I have seen some of the comments male bass players have made about women who play bass.I also support the spirit of woman taking on the role of playing bass,dont worry about the negative comments just keep playing bass and remember if you stick with it just a little bit you will be surprised at how far it will take you.
    Take care
    and keep
    kicken the
  9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    those Sum 41 songs are sure easy songs to start playing

good luck, break all the "rules"
  10. You can do whatever you want! My 13 year old daughter (grade 7) has been playing bass for a bit over a year now. When she started, all the boys would tell her she couldn't play bass 'cause it was a "mans instrument". They said she'd never get anywhere playing bass. She is now the "main" bassist for the school band, has "guested" on a number of gigs, and has been invited to join the high school jazz band when she starts there next school year. In addition, all the local garage bands (in her age bracket) want her to play bass for them. Ahhhh, so much pressure.

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Don't listen to "impossibility thinkers" in regard to your musical goals and aspirations. Who would have ever thought a fifty-four year old woman would play bass in a hardcore/hip hop band? Well, I did it. Women musicians have as much right to pursue their dreams as men. The bass guitar does not know and cannot know the gender of the person playing it. Do what you want and show the naysayers how wrong they have been.
  12. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    1) Not true; and
    2) Not true.

What kind of town is this? Sounds like the Twilight Zone to me.
  13. Chick bassists turn me on. As long as they are over 18:D
  14. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001

and thats quite a compliment...good luck with the band. it takes alot of work, regardless of gender or age
  15. X, I'm proud of her!!! and i"m not even her father!

kiwi, just kick ass and don't give a **** what people in your town say! my town blows too, I can't wait until I go to college!
  16. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Man this is the craziest thing since I was asked to play in an "easy" cover band. They than proceded to hand me a list of Deep Purple and The Who songs!

Seriously, just learn how to slap and pop and people will be bowing at your feet.
  17. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    That's really sad, but true nevertheless.
  18. Two of our best local punk bands are made entirely of females. BigWig Will listed three great female-based punk bands! I heard a lot of flack for picking up an instrument at all when I was young. I guess some people

However, I'd have to give you s*** too for the sum41 and greenday s***. Pave your own path, don't follow what has already been (poorly) paved by others. You can listen to them all you want, but don't strive to copy their sound or style. Those bands aren't punk-rock, they're punk-rotten.

19. hey kiwicone!! i started playin bass about 9 months ago, and at first everyone was like, oh theres not many chick bassists around today, and what you doing with a mans instrument.....but now they're all like wow you sure can play better than sam( a guy bassist a year higher than me).....i personally love sum 41, and i when i started i learnt all there songs! anyway there aint many chick muso's around my area, so i basically gotta be the only chick in a band with all guys(but that doesnt worry me one bit!!!)
  20. Believe it or not, I've heard even more imbecile (but common) comments like:

"You wanna play bass?!? why don't you get a guitar or an keyboard instead? those are real musical instruments."