New bassist coming from the dark side...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wiermabj, Jun 4, 2002.

1. wiermabj

wiermabj President and founding member - Bass Newb Club

Jun 4, 2002
    Westminster, MD
    Hey everyone, love the forums here. Much better than the other one I was checking out....
    Anyway, I have been playing guitar for about 15 years and I'm thinking about switching to bass. I play rock and classic rock and I'm into Stu Hamm, Steve Harris and Dave LaRue. I have placed a $2000 budget on myself to cover my needs for now. I played a Mesa Walkabout into the SWR 4 X 10, using an Ibanez BTB and EDB. The BTB felt clumsy to me because it is bigger than what I'm used to. However, the EDB was comfortable and sounded OK to me but whats with the Spaceship technology? I played a Fender P but it felt very neck heavy as did most of the warwicks I played. I guess the bottom line is I need advice on what to look at and what to stay away from. I could see myself learning slap and pop but I'll mostly stick with the rock music. I won't be playing any gigs for now, but would like to be able to expand my rig when that time comes. BTW, I have a Mackie 1400 that was used in my old bands p.a. that I could use as for a power amp.
    Portability and weight is a big issue with me. I'm a little dude.. Give me some suggestions please !!
    Thanks in advance!

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    getcha an amprg or swr IOD pre and a descent 4x10. That should set you back about 800 leavin you 1200 for an ax. I suggest a used stingray 5 and something like an essex jass to upgrade. you might check into the MTD kingston and a skyline of some sort. Try out some 12's while you're trying cabs too. good luck and welcome to the right side of the force young grasshopper.
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    stingrayguy made a great suggestion... and I agree :). keep that power amp you got, get a good preamp be it ampeg, swr, or aguilar... get a decent cab.. I think a decent preamp can be had used for less than $500... you could also go used on cabs.. No shame in getting used gear so long as its from a reputable person.
  4. Welcome, my son.

together we shall crush this rebellion ! mwuahahaha !! [​IMG]
  5. Then you should probably stay on the dark side, cuz it's worse on this side!

Seriously, something like an SWR 350 or Gallien-Krueger 800RB would be a good place to start. 410s are good, though some people like 2x12. I have a single Bag End 15 that I love, but sometimes I don't get the stage punchiness I need.

As for basses, I've found that the more 'solid' basses are neck heavy -- Rickenbackers and P basses for sure. In my opinion, the Jazz bass is a little more well balanced than the P. It also has a thinner neck, which coming from guitar you might appreciate.

Good luck, and have fun.