1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new bassist here. anyone willing to give advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arius, Feb 8, 2019.

1. arius

arius

Feb 8, 2019
    columbus, ohio
    i've just purchased my first bass (a dean custom zone in fluorescent yellow). i'm a cellist, violinist, and violist of 5 years and a guitarist of 1 year. i know how to play double bass and i thoroughly enjoy it, but i can't afford one, so i went to a local music shop and found this beauty new for $200. i'm still searching for an adequate amp, any suggestions for ones below $150? i'm also thinking about putting stickers on the bass. i'm fairly young, and i know that later on i'm probably gonna hate what i've done to it, but i also really enjoy the look of a few rad stickers and i think it'll make the bass feel more like my own. it's not very quality, but as far as i know, it's discontinued. should i preserve it the way it is or should i make it my own?
    pics below of the bass.

bass 2.
    bass 5.
    bass 3. bass 4. bass.

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Welocme.
    You're bass looks awesome.
    Such a original color design; if it were me, I'd leave it alone.
    You might consider going used for a small practice amp.
    This would allow a better model, and at this pirce point, a little more $$ can mean alot more in performance.
    Many here, including myself, would suggest you try a Fender Rumble but Peavy, GK and Ampeg have some nice gear at a higher price point.

vstrode, zon6c-f, Aqualung60 and 3 others like this.
  3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    No, you will have a hard time finding people willing to share their opinion on here ;)

Go for it and sticker away! Whatsa matter? Ya yeller?? ;)

An amp will depend on your needs. If not gigging but mainly home use and at friends houses with not too loud guitars? Many practice amps will do.

Welcome and enjoy! Protect your ears!!

4. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Your Dean isn’t going to have some huge vintage value any time soon if ever, so go ahead and sticker ‘er up!

GregC, James_E, pcake and 5 others like this.
  5. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Check your local CL for a used Peavey combo. They're readily available, practically bulletproof, and should be priced very reasonably.

crabfunk, Marihino, the_home and 11 others like this.
  6. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    When you eventually get that DB you'll probably want to hold off on the stickers, but yeah, make that Dean YOURS! Gotta give it some mojo. Play it a lot. Put on stickers that have meaning to you or that you get a kick out of. Someday you'll look back at pics that will bring back good memories. Or make you laugh. Probably both.

You can find some different combos in your price range that will get you started. Try to listen to as many as you can to get the sound you want.

Glad to see you playing a variety of instruments, it'll help your musical development and broaden your experience. You know, so you can be a better bassist someday.

And Welcome to TB!

Sparky63 and arius like this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    It's definitely better than the pink or green versions...I'd leave it alone.
    If you want to put stickers on it, though, try finding vinyl ones instead of the regular paper ones...the glue isn't as detrimental to the finish.
    Colorforms would be perfect!
    Other than that, it's not going to be collectible, so you can pretty much do whatever you want to it.
    You are talking about black stickers, right?
    I mean, surely not red or blue or green or purple?

8. arius

arius

Feb 8, 2019
    columbus, ohio
    yeah, mainly whites, grays, and blacks. i'm definitely not gonna be going with even more neon colors (i'm sure the bass itself is bright enough already)

jd56hawk likes this.
  9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Ditch it and get a real guitar. Otherwise yu'll miss all those beautiful chicks around.

10. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I ain't even gonna try and tell you how to play as you are probably head n shoulders above me.
    I very much agree with used Peavey bass combo, best bang for your buck. I'd go as big as you can, someday you'll be trying to be heard above drums and guitar. I bought a little practice amp, barely ever used it.
    As for stickers, I'm 54 and.........
    FB_IMG_1549692397000_kindlephoto-160932545.
    So sticker away.
    Welcome to the Secret Society.
    Peace N Chicken Grease

Marihino, BigBatch, arius and 4 others like this.
  11. Cool bass. Ignore the doorknob responses here. Many try to elevate themselves by bringing others down. They fail. Every single time. The cool kids on TB will encourage, give advice, and commiserate when need be. Play through the amps you are able to. Then , kick ass and report back how it went - We love gig reports! Go kick some bootayyyyyyy

12. JoeM1

JoeM1

Feb 4, 2019
    A few years ago I traded a baritone horn I had in high school for a dean bass a peavy amp and a guitar stand. Instruments and amps lose 60 to 70 percent of their value the minute the debit card clears. So for you amp go to guitar center or the online version get a good bass amp used and buy the optional 3 year replacement warranty. This way you get a better amp than you could have otherwise.

arius likes this.
  13. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Given your background I'd say get a Hofner. They are constructed like a stringed instrument but are as versatile as any modern electric bass .

arius likes this.
  14. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Agree. Or you might find a Rumble or the previous BXR models or other reasonably decent used combo. I would urge you to forget the "practice" amps...especially the new ones. Big waste of money. I have a bunch and they are basically only good as headphone amps. Go for a combo in the 60-100 watt range. That is what I use for a "practice amp". Gives you a real feel of the bass and also is useful for playing with others in situations that don't have loud drummers etc. Check local used instrument sources and you should find lots of adequate amps for not much money.

Also do not consider guitar amps. First off bass notes will tend to ruin guitar speakers (they are specially made stiff to suppress bass notes) and even if you change the speakers ( I had a used Crate 100 watt guitar amp that I put bass speakers in (got the amp next to free because it had blown speakers) but never worked out because the EQ controls for a guitar are different enough from bass EQ that they do not work well at all. Eventually I flipped it for a 75 Watt Laney Combo that I still have and still sometimes use. Note that this is all PRACTICE stuff. My main amps (have two) are 1000 watts.

PS. I also started on double bass but haven't played one for many years. I DO understand the "can't afford it" thing!

arius, Jim C, BurnOut and 1 other person like this.
  15. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Great bass! Put stickers all over that bad boy and post some pics here so we can all see!

Amp for $150 is tough man...honest advice...save up and get something that is at least capable of 500 watts.

My 2 cents..

loopee, arius and BurnOut like this.
  16. Coot

Coot

Nov 14, 2018
    Winnipeg,Canada
    Welcome to Tb and bass playing. I have a lot of higher end gear ( Mesas Subway+ and WD-800's) I also have some Fender Rumble gear that is excellent starter stuff . I use a Rumble 500 through a Rumble 500 4 x 10 for home practice( both amp and cab under $1000.00).. there are smaller Fender versions for cheaper as well..( I also have a GK MB 200 into an Ampeg svt2x10AV that sounds great but kinda pricey. I would highly recommend going on line and investing in a really good set of musicians ear plugs and getting used to them.. believe me tinnitus is a bitch .. Glad you joined us , good luck and have fun !!

arius, Warhawk, Malak the Mad and 2 others like this.
  17. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Welcome!

Go ahead and sticker that bass. It’ll be even cooler if it’s customised. Don’t worry about resale etc; as mentioned above, the bass probably won’t have huge vintage value down the road even if it’s discontinued. You’re young and you can just keep it when you (inevitably) decide to buy another bass.

I endorse the idea of a used Peavey combo. Great bang for your buck. Tell us more about whether you anticipate having to play with others in a band setting and we can give better advice. I also agree that those little 10 watt practice amps should be avoided if at all possible.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    jd56hawk and arius like this.
  18. swink

swink

Jan 10, 2019
    Belgium
    My advice for you.... Do what YOU like ... create your own sound, make it your own and have fun with it, in time upgrades will come your way, If you like it or not....
    The first two years I practiced without an amp. ( my budget couldn't afford it.)
    Invest in finetuning your bass...( it might end up in a corner if you don't :) )

arius and James_E like this.
  19. Hi, if your goal is playing your new bass by yourself to practice, go with a little second hand practice amp. I have a small Fender one. I even used it to play together with acoustic instruments (even on stage). Mine has a headphone output and an input for a drum machine or music player.
    If your goal is to play with drums and electric guitars, you need a bigger and better amp, at least 500W.
    You can always start with a little amp and go bigger when you need to.
    If stickers will make you play your bass, go for it!

20. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    digging the yeller Dean! assuming you'll be woodshedding for a while and don't need the neighbors calling the cops every time you plug in I'd suggest the best little amp (possibly) ever made if you can find one, Fender's discontinued B-DEC 30. I paid $100 in new-ish cond., it's certainly been a godsend to me and I still haven't yet tapped into the vast wealth of usable features available, just enjoying the tones from what the previous owner pre-set at apartment vol. levels. you can re-set the volume internally to match your basic needs at home or for small gigs as you get acclimated to electric bass, and I'm betting your acoustics will find some smiley settings as well, somehow this amp makes basses sound better.
    Hartke also makes inexpensive but good quality amps, and any old Peavey will sound even greater thru some kind of cheap sweetening FX device. once you need real volume then you're off to the GAS races lol
    Scamwagon: Gear review: Fender B-Dec 30 Amplifier

arius likes this.