Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bassist Looking for accessory advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jodathmorr, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Hey there. I figured out what bass I want to invest in, the Essex BG-150 (yes im lefty) and I had some questions about things other than the bass and amp.

Any other accessories I should worry about at this point? I think ill get a cheapo gig bag off ebay for carrying around. Im going to call Rondo this afternoon and HOPEFULLY order my BG-150. They are going to a tradeshow on the 14th and they said all orders while there at the trade show will get shipped on the 21st at the earliest.

I should also pick up a tuner (maybe Boss), and ill probably end up buying one of those wall hook stands. I looked on the Newb FAQ for advice on strings and I was wondering was a good brand would be. I guess I would go with the 1st one that they mentioned that didn't wear fretts down as much and had a better tone (I want to say roundhead). Whats a good brand?

Also, anything else you can recommend? Advice wise or equipment wise.

One last thing. Think I could substitute parts like machineheads and pick guards on the Essex if those parts are another brand? At some point i usually get bored with my hardware and I like to play around with it.

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    If you only tune as low as E, then seiko makes a very good tuner with a key change function that is rather nifty for 15-20 bucks. If you ever want to use a 5 string or down-tune, i would say get a korg for around teh same price...less features, but much more accurate below the E. As far as strings..I swear by my D'Addario half-rounds, on my fretted and fretless..very wide range of tones and next to zero fret wear (they are about $30 though). I have heard a lot of bad stuff about Dean Markley blue steels and Ernie Ball's (they are some of the cheapest out there, $15-20). If you jsut want standard bass thump and a clean sound with average to good wear, go for GHS bass boomers all the way, you won't be dissapointed..they are only $20-25 in most places as well.

3. bumpity

4. As for strings, I would go with Ernie Ball Slinkies. They are roundwounds (not roundheads ;) ), they are cheap, and are comfortable. With GHS Boomers, I've heard some not so great stuff about them, ranging from dying too quickly and other things. Do a search for "GHS" under the strings forum, you'll see what I mean. Some do swear by them though.

As for a tuner, I would go with the Korg GA20 (I think that's the right model) or CA20.

I don't know whether or not you can afford an amp right now, but later on, I would say the Peavey Microbass or Fender Bassman would be a pretty fun investment.

5. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I second the Korg tuner vote...either model. A lot of bang for the buck.

I'd save the rest of the $$ for a metronome and a few lessons to get the ball rollin'.

6. My parents are paying for lessions. I have 4 years of guitar under my belt and 2 of music theory and reading anyways...

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Get some straplocks and install them on your bass (easily done). This prevents your bass from slipping off its strap and crashing to the floor which is not a pretty sight. Cheap insurance!

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I personally like the seiko tuner. It has line in, and line out, so you can run through it, and it not only give you your tuning with the moving needle, but it registers the cents in a +/- numerically. very handy for precision tuning.
    Also, there is a tuner/metronome combo that sells for around $25. I don't know who makes it, Brook Mays sells it under their label, which is S series.
    Very handy.

Mark

9. First off , congatulations on choosing to come over from " the Dark Side " (guitar ) and groove with the rest of us . As far as accessories , I would definitely concur with the Korg tuner suggestions. As far as strings , I swear by DR Lowriders - terrific tone , long lasting , and they do not stretch nearly as much as other brands of strings I've tried. I have literally put these strings on an hour before a gig , and not had to re-tune until the second set !!!These strings are a bit more expensive than alot of other brands , but IMO , strings are so important to your sound , it just doesn't pay to skimp on a relatively inexpensive item . I would also highly reccomend Monster Bass cables - again , there are cheaper cables but they sound great and they are guaranteed FOREVER , which makes them a terrific long term value. Hope this helps , and if you have any other questions , feel free to e-mail me.
    Best of Luck !!! Kirk

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Strings vry, I love and live by rotosounds though. On occasion I go to Status-Graphite, but only when I want certain gague or sound. Tuner, for my fiver I got the Korg CA-20, it's awesome, and does incremental notes (Whole, sharps, flats etc. etc., you get the drift) Ugh, other accessories...eh, wireless ;).
    Ray

11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    See if you can get a used hard shell case rather than a gig bag. Better protection for your bass. I also recommend the Korg tuner. A wide strap is also a must. The Comfort Strap is recommended, however a good 4-5" leather strap will do if you are on a budget.

Dan

12. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    May I join Kirk in recommending that the #1 item on your list be a HIGH QUALITY cable. I'm always amazed by how many players will spend hundreds of dollars on a bass, hundreds more on an amp.........and use the $2. cable that the salesguy "threw in" to complete their sound. :confused:

That goes for speaker cables as well, by the way.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Bass. Be careful though, you'll suddenly be surrounded by gorgeous women once the word gets out. The down side is that Bass Players always seem to be the ones who own the PA as well..........why is that??

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

www.richbriere.com