New bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adam915, Jun 11, 2001.

1. adam915

Jun 11, 2001
    I am fifteen years old and I want to start playing bass guitar. I am willing to spend 400-500 dollars. What type of guitar should i get?
  2. actinglikeafreak

actinglikeafreak Guest

Apr 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    Squiers are very good and affordable, theyre from Fender but less costly but still theyre pretty good, Jazz or Presicion? Thats your decision
  3. Archelenon

Archelenon Guest

Apr 30, 2001
    Martin, TN
    I am 14, and I just started playing... I like the Edge 1 J (Jazz pickups) as a first guitar... Edge is made by Dean. Check out their website:
  4. I have been playing bass for 30 years,You can't go wrong with an american Fender(J or P) If you buy a used one in good shape for $400.00 or less you can always get your money out of it on a resale,some vintage Fenders are worth thousand if you hang on to them,have one of your friends that plays music help you when you go look,also,you can hunt swap shops,garage sales ect... People sometime don't realize what instruments are worth(I bought a 1960 Fender Percision from an ad in the pennysaver for $200.00) This bass is worth approx.$3000.00.Best of luck to you.Dennis @LBassman75@AOL
  5. adam915

Jun 11, 2001
    whats the difference between jazz and precision?
  6. Hi guys, and welcome both to Talk Bass.

The question of a first bass is a tricky one. In any case $500 is really quite a lot of money to spend: I think you really need to be absolutely sure that the bass is what you want to play as $500 is an awful lot to loose if you change your mind...... And don't forget you'll need an amp. Does the $500 include the amp?

If $500's just for the bass then there's a vast market to choose from. The Mexican Fenders (called 'Standard') Precision or Jazz should easily be within that budget. And don't dismiss the second-user market. Dean basses reckon to be good value. Yamaha's too. Like I say, there's loads of basses @ that figure.

Go to your dealer and have a really good browse. Go to as many dealers as you can to survey the choice, prices, etc. Try out as many basses as you can. If you're not confident about that can you take another more experienced bass player with you? And don't...I repeat, DON'T...jump @ the first you see. And DO try to get a discount on their price. If they won't play ball go somewhere else that will.

Good hunting.

Rockin John.

PS My first bass, this second time around, was a second-user Squier Affinity P-Bass @ £75. Worked great for me. You do't need to spend big bucks to get your bass playing off to a flyer.

7. Adam915

See Nino-brown's post on Ketch27's thread "This is probably a stupid question..." on page 3 of this forum for pic's of a J and a P.
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    As an owner of two Yamahas, I must push em.

Get Yamaha!! They are best!! Yamaha BBG4S is just in your pricerange!! *push push push*

Sheesh, I need to start collecting advertising-money from Yamaha :cool:
  9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I got a 67 p-bass off a bass player in a band that opened for us it was a frettless and he couldnt play it because he only played for a couple years and said come buy it! So i went to hes house thinking he was going to pull out a j.c.penny bass or somthing but instead he pulled out the old fender case! Me knowing that the case alone was worht 100.00 i had my check book out! When he opened it i saw a old fender frettless p! Its all mine!
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000

body styles are different, the jazz bass has an offest waist shape, the p does not.

necks, the jazz bass has a slimmer neck

pick ups- the p bass has a dual split coil p/up if im correct, (if Im wrong about that please correct me) the jazz bass has 2 single coil j style p/up's

they both very different tonal qualites.

for more detailed info go to

Good, luck in your quest! And remember when your doing your shopping, to let your ears be the judge, you'll just know which bass is right for you.
  11. ¿400-500 bucks? That's just about what a Made in Mexico (MIM) Fender Precision bass or Jazz bass costs. Their quality may not match the US-made ones, but these basses are fine...and they'll be new at 500 bucks or less.

I think the Mexican made basses are called Standard...? If you like to see Fender or Squier basses...well, duuuuh:

By the are 14? If you are small you might wanna consider a Steinberger Spirit or Hohner Steinberger copy. These basses look like box-and-stick but are small and comfortable...though the tuning system may be too much for you.

Personally, go with the lower-priced Mexican Fender...