1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bassist

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Floorplay, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Floorplay

Floorplay

Oct 27, 2006
    Hey I Don't know if this is the right section, but I just got started on the bass maybe a month ago, and im learning by myself by frets. I should be passed the really uncomfortable stage, and am looking for something else to play other than repeating basslines. Is there a song that you guys would recommend me learning where the bass takes on a bigger role than like 7 notes repeated over and over again?

2. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Here's what you do. Pick a Rage Against the Machine song. Doesn't matter which one. Now go to http://www.bassmasta.net/r/rage_against_the_machine/ and play it. :D They're semi-challenging and really fun to play.

Um lets see here, what else? Only a month, eh? Money by Pink Floyd is good. Longview by Green Day is fun.

3. another one bites the dust- queen
    down on the corner- ccr
    back in black, you shook me- ac/dc
    rock you like a hurricane- scorpions

4. Floorplay

Floorplay

Oct 27, 2006
    lol duo hahah. Thats exactly how i started. I can play a few rage songs, but they just seemed so simple (testify, renegades of funk) n my friend sasha told me to learn money, which was also easy. All of em were really fun, but im looking for a longer part that i can just keep playing without getting bored, ya'know?:D

n mike, yea ill look into those, thanks for the input both of ya

5. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Oh, so you want something a little harder? Ok then. :D Let me dig into my bag of goodies. Hmm.

How fast are you? And do you use all of your fingers? Take On Me by Reel Big Fish is what I'm learning right now. I think I have it down too. And Californication is really fun to play. Dani California. If Only and Stalker by Goldfinger.

Not sure how hard those are.

OH YEAH! 96 Quite Bitter Beings by CKY! That should be exactly what you're looking for.

6. Floorplay

Floorplay

Oct 27, 2006
    thanks ill cehck em out. N im not taht fast, i only use my middle and index fingers as of now, and i still gotta work on it because i dunno, im sure they could be more nimble hahah.

ill let you know how it goes!

7. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Oh, you do? Well those will definately teach you to use all of them. Here's a tip: on Californication, do the pull-off with your ring-finger. You'll see why.

8. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Jaco Pastorius - Chromatic Fantasy: http://www.bassmasta.net/p/pastorius,_jaco/108869.html
    Just kidding.
    When i had played around one month i started to play stuff like Metallica - Master of puppets and such. Its good for your left hand.
    And eat a lot of fish, its good for the back of your legs :eyebrow:

9. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    paranoid by black sabbath was my first song-if your feeling AWESOME try sea of lies by symphony x (it took me 2 months to be able to play it)

10. more easy sabbath songs are iron man, sweetleaf, black sabbath ( long and repetitive ) fairies wear boots, heaven and hell. zz tops la grange, tush. srv crossfire. ozzy over the mountain and crazy train, believer, changes.

11. learn nib by black sabbath its fun, and if you can't get the intro don't worry just work it out slowly, and don't try to rush and play it fast with bad technique, because that will come back to haunt you.

12. buliwyfff

buliwyfff

Oct 13, 2006
    Virginia
    learn some zeppelin Im pretty new also and I really enjoyed learning and playing their songs (ocean, black dog, crunge, etc)

13. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Zeppelin

14. Floorplay

Floorplay

Oct 27, 2006
    gah, my resnet is faulty sometimes n wont let me log onto my slsk, soo, im gonna haveta wait until it lets me connect again before i can download some of these songs and try em out, but thansk for the input, ill give'r a go when i can!

15. Firstly, train with all four fingers on your fretting hand! I've not been playing too long (10 months or so) and that was the first thing I was taught. I've seen so many vids now of people playing what I would consider tricky basslines without any use of their pinky!! Learn now, you'll thank yourself later.
    Good little exercise, before you start playing, just get in a comfortable position (start from fret 5 if the spacing from 1-4 is too big a stretch) and do runs one finger per fret starting on the E string (ie. Index - 5, Middle - 6, Ring - 7, Pinkie - 8), working down, then back up again in reverse. Get used to doing that and you'll realise you have four fantastically useful fretting fingers in no time, it certainly worked for me :)

As for a line;

http://www.xguitar.com/bass-tabs/iron_maiden/the_number_of_the_beast/the_number_of_the_beast.txt

Try "Number of the Beast" lovely active bassline (as are most of Mr. Harris') solid verses, with a slightly tricky centre section.

That should keep you going a while and it requires use of all 4 fingers on the fretting hand (unless you're insanely nimble with the two you use) ;)

16. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Anything Metallica is pretty simple and fun to play... get headbangin!

17. Floorplay

Floorplay

Oct 27, 2006
    nice tip codfather. I usually use 3 on the fretting hand, but coincidentally, i started trying to use my pinky liek a week before a read this post haha. But yea, im trying to sue my pinky, especially today. I just woke up early(my sleepings ****ed cause of exams, i more just take naps than sleep lol) but yeah, i started practicing the use of the pinky and its started to bruise i think lol.

Oh n also, assuming eveyrone has calisus on their walking fingers(or all, wahtever) has anyone ever ripped the calisus off because they were frustrated:)? I did that with my two walking fingers, n now my index finger is kinda flat, and when i walk with it, it makes a weird noise, kinda like when you scratch your table with your nails or somethihng...anyone have a simillar experience?

18. Floorplay

Floorplay

Oct 27, 2006
    nvm, the nail noise was acutlaly my nail hitting it hahaha. Since iripped the calis off, the tip of my finger was naturally alot lower, and my nail was hitting it, making that noise. SOo when i finalyl cut my nails, the sound is fine.. hahah