New Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pesticle, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Ok well here it is... i am a beginning bass player (playing about 2 months) and i was wondering what are some good bands to look into. i simply cant think of anything else to learn. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Welcome to TB!

My suggestion to you would be to buy a Primus CD, Sailing The Seas Of Cheese. This will blow your little bass playing head. I really cant describe Primus to you...They are in a catogory of their own, Funk/Rock/Craziness. What kind of music are you into that will help us help you a little more but do check out Primus.
  3. hmm ill have to go check them out.. ohh yeah i like alot of music... the songs i really enjoy playing are songs like longview by greenday .. i like punk and pop punk and alternative
  4. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    what ever you do...dont start a thread on punk or more specificaly blink 182 or you will start a holy war....but....just pick some bands you like and look them up!...welcome to talkbass!
  5. well ive checked all of those pop punk bands... and i even think the stuff they play is too easy.. im trying to get some music i like that isnt .. 33333 00000 11111 3333 junk that blink plays :/
  6. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Just listen to the music you like, except pay more attention to the bass.

If you find a lot of the parts are simple, then maybe that is all you need.
  7. Well I think I'll state the obvious before someone slse does. Flea, Jaco, Marcus Miller, James Jamerson, Bootsy Collins, Matt Freeman,Norwood Fisher, The guy from Tool... ect. Those are just the ones I listen too/play on a regular basis there are other great ones but I don't feel like typeing
  8. well is there any band out there that will give a newbie a big challenge, but is reasonable... im really having trouble finding a band like that. i have been checking out bands for a few weeks and i haven't gotten anything between blink 182 and Victor Wooten if you know what i am trying to say.
  9. Ohh thanks funkdified.. that helps me out a ton :D
  10. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Do a search for "punk bassists". I think you should find some good material there. There are some really good punk bassists out there, that thread will get you headed in the right direction. Also, look up Rancid. Great band, AMAZING bassist. If your gunna check 'em out get "...And Out Come The Wolves" first, you wont regret it.
  11. well thanks all for cooperating with a random new guy. i appreciate it.. i guess i got some research to do in quite a few bands ive never checked out :D thanks all again, i appreciate it alot
  12. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    Definitely go with ...And Out Come The Wolves by Rancid. That's got some easy but effective bass lines (Junky Man; She's Automatic) some harder ones (Old Friend) and Maxwell Murder, for the ultimate in bass insanity. It's a great record to teach yourself off - and also most of the Internet tabs are pretty accurate. ( in particular)

Oh and also Californication by the Chili Peppers - not their best album but in terms of bass possibly the most useful for a starter.

Good luck!
  13. I would start with 'Blood Sugar', most of the songs are cool and groovin, save stuff like 'Mellowship Slinky' which is kinda can learn that one later. Definitely get the groove from stuff like 'If You Have to Ask' and 'Sir Psycho Sexy'!