1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new bassists to listen to?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by taygunov, Oct 2, 2009.

1. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    Firstly let me just appologize as i posted this same thread in a different forum, but haven't gotten a new reply in over 2 days, so Ive decided to post it here. (I also don't know how to delete threads).

Lately I've been finding myself very board with playing along with artists. Can anyone recommend me some?

Some styles and bassists I like are

Mahuvishnu Orchestra
    Incubus (both bassists)
    Jaco
    Jamerson.

Furthermore, I really like kind of "todays" popular music with good studio basslines. I guess the first thing that comes to mind is "mamma mia" by abba or "my girl" by the temptations. Pretty much some groovy simple basslines that hold up the songs with some catchy 5ths and roots.

Also I'm up for anything Reggae-ish. I'm not talking Sublime or 311, but more like the basslines from "Welcome to Jamrock" or "one love", you know, muted simple stuff like that...

A lot of text i've written, but thanks in advance for all of your responses
    Edit/Delete Message

2. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Pick up Matisyahu Live at Stubbs. Not only a good bass player but one of the best live recording around. Or if you like fast crazy and tech. you can try Protest the Hero. Awesome metal band with a twist. the bass player commonly does sweeps and tapping. not to mention their singer is awesome

3. give a spin to the Black Crowes "Warpaint"...Sven Pippien has a nice package of tone and riffs, clean and overdriven, very tasteful stuff...play along with "Walk Believer Walk" and see how it goes, Peace

4. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel

Apr 19, 2009
    Check out Juan Alderete of The Mars Volta. He can and does cover all kinds of styles, just like the whole band.

5. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Mars Volta def have the creative/original thing going. Can hear lots of influences, but a great unique band! Very interesting songs, lyrics and playing.

6. I love TMV. One of the bands of the last decade for me. Superb musicians....one of the only bands around actually doing something new and their own.

7. afromoose

afromoose Guest

Check out Massimo Papillo from Zu he is amazing. It's a very original sound so you're not going to hear a progression of something you already heard. There's no popping and slapping or funky stuff or twiddly bits or whatever - he's much more interesting than that. I saw him playing at the Invada Invasion in Bristol the other week.