New BassLab Soul V has landed in the USA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Sacchetti, Mar 11, 2004.

1. For all the those who have Gas for BassLab:

I just received a Soul V strung E to C. It has killer funk tone with major quake generating bottom along with the mid bark I crave and sweet warm highs!!!

34 " scale
    Composite body with soundhole
    Candy Apple Red met with vintage white pick guard
    Black hardware
    3 Lefay custom pups with BassLab pream with mid sweep feature
    6 position pup configuration switch
    TI flats
    Will post pictures asap.

First Impression:

The quality is first class.
    The paint finish and attention to detail in every aspect of this bass attests to the "love" Heiko pours into his instruments.

Geez! Can you tell I am excited!!

Most importantly the sound and playability are there!!

I will make a full report of this bass after I get a chance to play it for awhile
    Thanks Heiko for building a wonderful bass that will be a player for years to come!

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    It's not real unless we get pics :D
  3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Ditto. More facts would hurt either. :D :D
  4. Sorry for the delay. Trying to post a picture of the bass.

As for the bass itself:

I have inspected every inch of the bass and opened up the inside to check out the sodering work and have found nothing to be out of sorts so far. Everthing works the way it suppose to. The feel of the neck is fast and comfortable to my hands.The bass sounds awesome with the LeFay single pups. What is a plesant surprise is the the variety of tones the rotary switch offers. You can dial in a "Getty Lee "sounding config and with a flick of the switch find yourself doing a "Les Claypool" sound witha little eq of the mid sweep. You can get the classic Jazz bass "Jaco" bark .The E string really speaks with thunderous lows and the note definition of open E to F to F# to G is as good as it gets. I can already hear how versatile this bass is going to be.

I hope this is more to your likely and I am sure I will have more info to share as I keep playing the bass. I will use it this weekend at rehearsal. Can not wait to see how it sits in the mix.

5. I hope this does the trick for the picture.
    I know it is not much but it is a start.
    Thanks for your patience
  6. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Whats that sparkle stuff? Could ya put a closeup of the body up when you can?
  7. It is the metal flake shinning through. It really shows up when you use a digital camera.Heiko sent me this one. He was finishing up the last stages of the bass. He warned in advance and told me not to freak out:->
    I imediately got nervous and thought the bass was going to look awful.
    A real bowser!!
    So when it came today I was anxious. I could not wait to open the box and take it out of the gig bag. It looks great in person. Thank God! Under the lights it looks like the bass is on fire. The metal flake is multi colored so it glows through the rainbow. However it does not photo well.
    I am going to take some picture tomorrow and see how they come out.
    I will post them asap.
  8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Pretty cool! It's a neat way to get most of the benefits of the BassLab technology while maintaining a more traditional look. Since it's a 5-string, what's the string spacing like?

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

So nice how the pickguard is actually built into the body instead of screwed on to it.

I haven't had the pleasure to play one but the whole Basslab line makes me drool...........slurrrrp!
  10. Thanks everyone for the kind words.
    As for string spacing:
    I have small hands so I asked to have the spacing to be 18.5 mm. It is just right for me. Especially when I am moving around the board using multiple chords phrases in some of my original compositions

11. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Mark - what do you think of the far neck pickup? Is it a major difference in lows, as I'd expect?
  12. Day 2:
    Yes the neck pup is under where the 24th fret would be. I think it does make a difference in the tone.

More observations:

The bass is very articulate. Each note is very transparent, bell like and clear. Everyone who hears it remarks on its clarity. It's has an organic warmth, a depth, in the timbre of each note. This is not a sterile sounding bass. It has tremendous sustain and is even from string to string.

I also love the TI flats they sound great on the bass.

Still working on the pictures so stay tuned.

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i'll be a watchin' this thread.

nice score!!!

14. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Somebody get that man a photographer!!

(Impatiently awaits pics...)
  15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I played a Manne Bass a couple of weeks ago, it had those three jazz styled pups, real interesting sound.... Unfortunately the FB had 24 frets and the far near neck pup was right up against the FB. When that pup was solo'd it sounded like a HiFi EB-O or EB-3...

Mark Sacchetti,

Nice bass! We need full shot pix!!
  16. Heiko

Heiko BassLab

Apr 24, 2001
    Kassel, Germany

Mark, thanks for the review! Waiting for the long one! ;>)

Since you are probably busy at the moment, I might help out with a few pics, until you finish the review.
    (Please remember, that it´s impossible to ban this candy-red and the holographic metal flakes on a photo....)
  17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oh, wow! Three J pickups; neat! I've always thought their bizarre shapes were really cool. I would love to give one a shot, but that's a pretty expensive experiment for something you've never seen in person.

Did you get a chance to play one before you ordered yours, or just do it blind?
  18. Thanks, Heiko for posting the pictures!!!

As for the question regarding the bass. I had a chance to try out an Std, a L-bow and a Soul. All three have their own voices I wouold love to have one of each:-> This is the first Soul witht he triple pup config.
    The bass is a funk machine and a jazz bass at the same time due to the rotary switch option.

19. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Just when i thought the GAS for a bass lab had passed. ;)

Awesome looking bass. From what i've read they seem to be great, lightweight, and good sounding basses. Maybe some where down the line i'll end up with one :)